Help with sexing

Lynsey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I have a little Hermann's that I got in December. He/she was sold to me as a Western, but I think it is an Eastern. I love him just the same ;) He lives in a 6x2 indoor enclosure when it is cold, and lives in a 4 x 4 outdoor enclosure when weather permits. I would like to know if my little Tuco is a boy or a girl. Might be too early to tell. I have looked at all the pics, and I still have no idea.

This was when I got him/her in December:

This is now:

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Also, looking at the pics...I was thinking it might actually be a western? It does have yellow patches on his cheeks too. Seems to be getting more black on its plasteron.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
For me it looks like a male.

Flipper

MO, USA
I can't be of any help with the questions you have :oops:

But I just want to tell you how beautiful your Hermann is :<3: I'm getting a Dalmation in a few days and am sooooo excited :D

Good luck and Happy Tortoising! :cool:

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Sexing this one is a little tough but I'm leaning towards female because of the shape and length of the tail. Also the puckered vent. The anal scoots are a little bit wide so that's what confuses me a little bit. However that very well may change.
Also, the tortoise is 100% an eastern Hermann's. Westerns do not look like this. Beautiful animal.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Beautiful for sure. No matter is a boy or girl.

Lynsey

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thanks. Maybe I'll have to post next year to sex. ;-) I can't tell either. Some things look male and some characteristics seem female. I was hoping for a boy cuz I didn't want to deal with egg problems. How often do females have problems with eggs, like getting stuck etc? I just have the one hermann's and don't plan on getting more. I have read they don't really want buddies anyway.