Please help sexing

Status
Not open for further replies.

devongoldstone

5 Year Member
Hi all, my little Herman (Josh Henry 5 years old) has always been a boy until I started looking on the web and decided he is a she... I then went to my local pet store and asked their expert to sex him, initially he said Josh was a he, but then changed his mind and told me he is definitely a she... confused yet? Me too. Below is a picture of Josh could anyone help me sex him/her please. BTW his/her tail looked normal until about 3 years old then swelled up to look like it does today, s/he visits the vet annually and is healthy.
Josh_zps0eaa7339.jpg

Next is my other little boy (Brett Walsh 4 years old) He has been a he since I got him, has been confirmed as a he but I'd like your opinion please
Brett_zpsc6217715.jpg

Thank you alll very much for your help

arotester

5 Year Member
first one looks a female to me and the later is a male...good luck with that :)
but still wait for what others have to say about them.

devongoldstone

5 Year Member
arotester said:
first one looks a female to me and the later is a male...good luck with that :)
but still wait for what others have to say about them.

Awesome, hopefully everyone agrees... mind you it will make little difference because my wife says their names wont change with their sex :p

devongoldstone

5 Year Member
My uncle has just said they're both male. Anyone else care to shed some light on this?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I'm too new to be any good at sexing torts, but I'll give your thread a bump!:)

devongoldstone

5 Year Member
I was hoping to be inundated with messages of the twos sex, I'm surprised how quiet this forum really is? Maybe owners are as quiet as their pets?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I usually see a lot more activity on the "General" area. The activity in the Hermnn's-specific area can be hit and miss. Lots of activity usually in the Russians and in the sulcata area...

devongoldstone

5 Year Member
Thank you Moozilion, I'm very used to buzzing forums and thought it might have been something I posted (I've been reading and re-reading my posts to check for accidental insults or faux pas)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
devongoldstone said:
Thank you Moozilion, I'm very used to buzzing forums and thought it might have been something I posted (I've been reading and re-reading my posts to check for accidental insults or faux pas)

I really don't think it could have been anything you posted. My experience here has been that the folks who post actively are very tolerant and helpful. Some areas just have more activity because either there are A LOT of people with that type tort (sulcata, Russian, Star tortoises and Box turtles) or the need is great (enclosures). I find activity in the Hermann's area to be a bit hit-and-miss. So PLEASE don't take the lack of activity personally! ;-)

Also some questions are a little tougher than others- I for one, am unable to help with your sexing question. There are probably a lot of people reading your request who feel likewise. I don't want to steer you wrong since it takes some experience to accurately sex a tort.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I can't help with the sexing but I am interested in Leo's & Hermanns so I am glad your here :)

devongoldstone

5 Year Member
Thank you again Moozilion, I hope I can be a valuable contributor to this forum

Thanks for the welcome MasterOogway, as above really

devongoldstone

5 Year Member
Thank you Terry. Wish these two would stop arguing over dominance because the female keeps mounting the male.. it's getting tiresome

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
devongoldstone said:
Thank you Terry. Wish these two would stop arguing over dominance because the female keeps mounting the male.. it's getting tiresome

Seperate them ASAP! It'll get worse!

If you mix genders, you need a ratio of 1 male to at least 2 females, otherwise the male will eventually "carnally pester" the female until she dies!

Males are insatiable, but by having more than one female to share his "carnal enthusiasm", no one female gets the brunt of his "carnal attention"!

My male spends a lot of every day chasing my females, one after another, but by dividing his attention, they all get to eat, drink and get some peace.

devongoldstone

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
devongoldstone said:

If you mix genders, you need a ratio of 1 male to at least 2 females, otherwise the male will eventually "carnally pester" the female until she dies!

Males are insatiable, but by having more than one female to share his "carnal enthusiasm", no one female gets the brunt of his "carnal attention"!

My male spends a lot of every day chasing my females, one after another, but by dividing his attention, they all get to eat, drink and get some peace.

thank you, but this is the male on the female not vice versa

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
devongoldstone said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
devongoldstone said:

thank you, but this is the male on the female not vice versa

Just a matter of time...right now she's telling him "Knock it off, Stud" every time he tries to "seduce" her...soon she'll give up and try escaping him, because she's really too young to be bred, but she won't be able to escape if they're in the same enclosure. It's best to wait until she's at least 8" or longer before breeding her. My 3 females are 9", 8.25" and 7.75", while my male is about 6"

Seperate them until you have at least one more female of similar size...it really can be that serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.