Status
Not open for further replies.

devongoldstone

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
devongoldstone said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
devongoldstone said:
Thank you Terry. Wish these two would stop arguing over dominance because the female keeps mounting the male.. it's getting tiresome

Seperate them ASAP! It'll get worse!

If you mix genders, you need a ratio of 1 male to at least 2 females, otherwise the male will eventually "carnally pester" the female until she dies!

Males are insatiable, but by having more than one female to share his "carnal enthusiasm", no one female gets the brunt of his "carnal attention"!

My male spends a lot of every day chasing my females, one after another, but by dividing his attention, they all get to eat, drink and get some peace.

thank you, but this is the male on the female not vice versa

Just a matter of time...right now she's telling him "Knock it off, Stud" every time he tries to "seduce" her...soon she'll give up and try escaping him, because she's really too young to be bred, but she won't be able to escape if they're in the same enclosure. It's best to wait until she's at least 8" or longer before breeding her. My 3 females are 9", 8.25" and 7.75", while my male is about 6"

Seperate them until you have at least one more female of similar size...it really can be that serious!

Thank you for the infomation, I've separated them now

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
devongoldstone said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
devongoldstone said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
devongoldstone said:
Thank you Terry. Wish these two would stop arguing over dominance because the female keeps mounting the male.. it's getting tiresome

Seperate them ASAP! It'll get worse!

If you mix genders, you need a ratio of 1 male to at least 2 females, otherwise the male will eventually "carnally pester" the female until she dies!

Males are insatiable, but by having more than one female to share his "carnal enthusiasm", no one female gets the brunt of his "carnal attention"!

My male spends a lot of every day chasing my females, one after another, but by dividing his attention, they all get to eat, drink and get some peace.

thank you, but this is the male on the female not vice versa

Just a matter of time...right now she's telling him "Knock it off, Stud" every time he tries to "seduce" her...soon she'll give up and try escaping him, because she's really too young to be bred, but she won't be able to escape if they're in the same enclosure. It's best to wait until she's at least 8" or longer before breeding her. My 3 females are 9", 8.25" and 7.75", while my male is about 6"

Seperate them until you have at least one more female of similar size...it really can be that serious!

Thank you for the infomation, I've separated them now

Excellent...both tortoises will live more healthy lives, and if you decide you for sure want to breed them, just get another female (or more)...I'm planning on adding perhaps 3 more females, once I finish a larger outside enclosure for them (present one is just barely roomy enough for the four I presently have...I should've planned better).

Status
Not open for further replies.