Just a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR Exotics

5 Year Member
My little hermanns arrived today. I had his/her new enclosure all set up and made sure the temp was right. I had to run out and run some errands and when I got home, I checked on him. He's in the log hide but he burrowed. I'm assuming this is normal and I don't want to disturb him b/c everything is new. When shall I pull him out to soak him and feed him?

I'm sure I'll be fine but I'm so paranoid b/c this is my first tort and I want to do everything right. I'm nervous b/c he/she is so little, hatched in December. My panther chameleon was really tiny when I got him and now he's a big healthy cham. I was the same way when I got him.

Also, the breeder gave me a few plants and I want to put them in little pots in the enclosure. What type of soil is safe to plant them in?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I would pull him out and soak him. That is always my priority after a long journey. After the soak you can set him in front of the food and see if he wants some.

You need soil that has no additives. No perlite, fertilizers, vermiculite, etc... It can be tough to find sometimes.

JR Exotics

5 Year Member
Okay, I pulled him out, let him soak in some luke warm water for about 10 minutes, gave him some food and left him alone. Hopefully he'll eat a little something.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It is not unusual for new torts to be very slow to adapt to new surroundings.

You can help your tort to get used to you and its new home, by establishing a routine where the same things happen at the same time each day. Try to limit handling to that which is necessary and resist the temptation to stand over your tort watching all the time.

I suggest the morning goes something like: lights on, heat on, soak, feed...

My soaking tips are:
1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

JR Exotics

5 Year Member
I watched him through the window today after he had a good soak and I fed him. He/she was eating so I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.