Help with baby RT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rylo922

5 Year Member
I recently adopted a baby RT that is only 4 months old. I need any advise you can give me!

I bought some lettuce from the grocery store in a bag and he seems to enjoy it. Do I need to give him more than just that?

For lighting, I am using the Zoo Med 100w Powersun bulb. When I have the light on, he seems to stay on that side of the tank. Even when it is off he usually buries himself. What do I need to do? Is it ok for him not to go over to the cooler side?

ds

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
You should grow weeds and grass for it to eat. You should do spring mix not just lettuce so there's more variety. You can also buy water crest, collard & turnip greens, kale, & endive too. Plant some stuff in the enclosure too :D
Check you this site for ideas
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

Im sure if he wants to cool off he will go to the cool side. :)

rylo922

5 Year Member
Q'sTortie said:
You should grow weeds and grass for it to eat. You should do spring mix not just lettuce so there's more variety. You can also buy water crest, collard & turnip greens, kale, & endive too. Plant some stuff in the enclosure too :D
Check you this site for ideas
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

Im sure if he wants to cool off he will go to the cool side. :)

The lettuce I bought is sweet baby lettuces. I will look into buying something else. Also, I have read about needing calcium. Do I need to feed him something with the lettuce to get him the calcium he needs?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
yes, there is a calcium powder you can buy that you just sprinkle on their food, i would suggest getting it from a local pet store and sprinkling some on his food maybe 3 times a week. and growing plants right in the enclosure is always the best way to go...its not difficult, its always fresh and it allows your tortoise to eat whenever he's hungry :)

Bobo's Dad

10 Year Member!
Louisville, Ohio
I would go to Carolina Pet Supply's site and order 4 or 8 ounces of TNT supplement. I am using it with my 2 month old and he treats it like salt and pepper. Good stuff, ground up weeds that way your tort is getting calcium, and vitamins and some fiber. Mines a pooping machine! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.