RT Gender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vader

10 Year Member!
Hey All

I know this is a topic that's been covered many times, but I'm starting to be really unsure of the gender of my RT.
I've looked at old posts here, and have seen conflicting opinions, so I thought i'd give it a try here again.

All the people at the pet store felt strongly about determining this RT to be a female. But I have heard that a large tail tucked to the side is an indicator of a male.

I've included a pic showing his/her(?) tail. In one example I've outlined the tail, in case it doesn't appear clearly.

So what do yall think?
RussianTort.JPGRussian with tail outline.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

miller618

5 Year Member
If the tail is long its a male. I have a female and she has a short stubby tail. I can't really see in the picture but I do see you have a green line drawn to the side. By the line u have drawn it looks like a male.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378691891.969632.jpg
This is a female tail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vader

10 Year Member!
miller618 said:
If the tail is long its a male. I have a female and she has a short stubby tail. I can't really see in the picture but I do see you have a green line drawn to the side. By the line u have drawn it looks like a male.

This is a female tail.

Thanks very much.That's what I was thinking (guessing) and the tail is long and much different than your gal.

Now what can I name a "guy" named Rosie?
....Roosevelt? LOL

miller618

5 Year Member
Lol yeah sounds good. We thought we were getting a boy and had the name Franklin picked out turned out to be a girl so we went with Tori. Roosevelt sounds good tho!! Enjoy ur new little guy!!!

Vader

10 Year Member!
guille24 said:
It a male ! Congrats !

I hope my kids aren't too disappointed!:(
It's strange that 4 of the PetSmart people got this all wrong.
But that's why I joined this forum.

miller618

5 Year Member
That's where we got ours and they couldn't tell us how old she was. I don't think those ppl know very much about their animals. Or don't care to know anything about them.

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
Russians tortoises have great personalities no matter if they are male or females they are great pets :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The first rule of "Tort Club" is that the big box pet stores should not be allowed to talk about torts!

I think it's a boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.