Supply List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
Wanted to run this list by ya'll and make sure I'm not missing anything. There's sooooo much information, some conflicting, but this is what I've found that is constant for a new RT:

Building a 3x8' tortoise table (does this need lined with something on the bottom?)
Will feed on a flat rock to keep nails trimmed
Shallow water bowl
UVB Light (zoo med powersun)
Ceramic heating lamp (will set at 90 degrees on warm side)
2" of play sand/coir mixture (will keep dampish)
Bermuda hay
Shoe Box hiding spot
Cuttle bone

Hmmm, other than an RT and food I think that's all I have on my list of things to get.

Would love ideas and feedback if I'm missing something or have something I don't need.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tanya:

I'd like to see the ratio of sand to coir be more on the coir side. I'm not a big fan of sand in the enclosure. The rest of the list looks ok to me.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I also used to use sand, but I have switched to just coir. The sand was getting everywhere - especially in their food. I'm much happier with dry coir on top, wet underneath. I like to use just one bulb too. It's completely up to you, but I find an MVB works just as well - with less lamps. :)

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Plainfield, IN
I would make the substrate a bit deeper, maybe 4-5 inches. Russians like to dig. And maybe add some plants. Mine likes to stare at them and will sometimes cuddle up by a plant for a nice nap.

Other than that, sounds like you're doing great!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The Zoomed UVB bulb provides heat and light, so you probably won't need extra heat near that bulb on your basking side.
(With your size table, you MAY actually need an extra regular or basking bulb to provide extra light on midway down or the other end, so it doesn't get too dark, you can see how this goes).
Also, consider getting the 160w Zoomed Powersun UVB with that size enclosure, place it about 1/3 of the way down to spread the heat.
If your house does not drop below 60-65 at night, you should not need heat at all at night (ceramic bulb probably not needed).
Keeping the light source on a timer is helpful, too.
I agree with deeper substrate, at least in parts of the enclosure (hills and valleys).
You can seal the tort table with an floor paint, or line it with a piece of pond liner folded up the sides, or 'shower pan liner' (used under showers), which is also thick and sturdy. You can get these at Lowes or Home Depot by the foot, or prepackaged.
BTW, nice sized enclosure you have planned!

Creteloc

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info! I haven't talked hubby into the 3x8' table yet, he thinks it'd dwarf our house. He wants 2x5' but we're still in negotiations :)

Creteloc

5 Year Member
If my husband wins and we settle on a 2x5" table, will that be too small for a single male RT? I had my heart set on 3x8' but we found the perfect spot for a 2x5.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
5x2' is fine for one Russian. Especially if they can go outside in a secure enclosure in the winter months. At some point you can add a small second level with a ramp to add space. I feed mine on the second level, on newspaper with a tile, and it is easy to clean up food residue, etc. There is a smaller regular light bulb, 75w to add heat and light up there.
It is important for the size to fit it in!
(at 5x2', you could go with the Powersun 100w uvb, probably won't need an extra heat source if you position it 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down on the 'warm' side).

Creteloc

5 Year Member
What about the Shoe Box hiding spot? I'm concerned that he'll eat away the box, but I like the idea because my girls have decorated it already. Hope he likes neon rainbows and pink flowers =P

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Use it, sounds too cute to pass up.
If you notice nibbles, get an opaque plastic container and let them decorate the top with markers instead.

(Correction to my previous post: I meant
'outside in the warmer months'... :rolleyes: )

Creteloc

5 Year Member
Thanks Lynne! I have the wood being cut right now to build the table. It'll be an ongoing process because I'm going to assemble it... I'm a computer tech and published author, neither of which is compatible with any mechanical skill. I'm still going to try though. I'll post pics as I build it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Creteloc said:
Thanks Lynne! I have the wood being cut right now to build the table. It'll be an ongoing process because I'm going to assemble it... I'm a computer tech and published author, neither of which is compatible with any mechanical skill. I'm still going to try though. I'll post pics as I build it.

You can do it!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Creteloc said:

You can do it!

Creteloc

5 Year Member
I got up at 3am and checked the temperature of the room that the tortoise table will go in. At the appx height of the table it was 63 degrees. Is that too cold? I like the spot for him because it's not well traveled but my hubby works in there so he can have quiet company during the day. Obviously he'll have heat lights on during the day but at night it shouldn't get below that 63 degrees I'd think.

I keep reading mixed reviews on nighttime warmth.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Is this an adult russian tort? I would say those temps are prolly fine, if he were a hatching i would say too keep it around 75 at least. But for adult russians i have heard they they benifit with drops in to the 60's at night.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
SulcataSquirt said:
Is this an adult russian tort? I would say those temps are prolly fine, if he were a hatching i would say too keep it around 75 at least. But for adult russians i have heard they they benifit with drops in to the 60's at night.

I don't have a tort yet. I'm setting up the table this weekend and I'm pre-planning so I will be 100% ready when I do get one. Around here, the only place is Petco though so it won't be too young.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's true. Check the temp of the actual substrate in various locations to make sure it is that temp where the tort will be. It will usually be the coolest in the early morning before the lights or your house heat comes on.
Remember, your lights will be on all day when you get him, and if there is some slate, overturned pots, flat rocks, etc., they will hold heat too overnight so the table may stay a bit warmer.
Your tort will make his way to the basking area in the am to warm up, let him do that for a couple of hours prior to feeding or soaking (which will warm him up more).
3am? you are dedicated...

Creteloc

5 Year Member
Anyone with an RT try the Mazuri® Tortoise Diet? I was wondering about it mixed with some good green veggies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
lots of 'interesting' threads about it. Some feed exclusively, some avoid.
My torts are not that interested in it. I have heard of some torts that become 'addicted' to it and won't eat anything else.
However, it appears to be a good food source 1-2x per week. I think weeds and greens with a cuttlebone and sun or UV is still the mainstay with Med torts, so you could just start with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.