Help im new

Pipes24

Location (City and/or State)
North east England
So she's female ? Looks like a new name is in order I don't think Jeffery is very fitting for such a beautiful girl

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to you and your new leopard family member.
I say female too.
Please read the links posted by Speedy-1 and also http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp
is useful for ideas what can and can't be eaten.
Please be careful when you go to the pet shop.
Our threads will tell you what you need, pet shops will try to sell you stuff you don't need, some of which may actually be harmful to your tortoise.
Check here first.
Please ask if you have any questions whatsoever, there are many helpful and knowledgeable leopard owners about who would be happy to help. ( i don't have a leopard, myself, though think they are an amazing species.)

Pipes24

North east England
Thanks everybody she's doing really well I'm taking my sister along with me to buy what is needed she has kept lizards for years and she is very good friends with the gentleman who owns the reptile shop my partner is making a turtle table today for her she currently in my very large garden eating the grass enjoying the sun

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi @Pipes24 . :) Glad to know your tort is doing well. Please allow me to give you some advise: do NOT allow your tort to roam around your home. The floor is dirty, he/she could eat something harmful and could hurt him/herself, GOD forbid.

Pipes24

North east England
She is in garden with me at the moment it's hot out today so she's enjoying the sun and the grass my garden it very secure I have mesh that surrounds it around the bottom of the fence in neighbouring gardens due to there dogs digging lol but I won't leave her out here alone or to roam my home any ideas on the soaking I have read so many different opinions on it do I do it ? Don't I? How often ? It's all very daunting

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
She is in garden with me at the moment it's hot out today so she's enjoying the sun and the grass my garden it very secure I have mesh that surrounds it around the bottom of the fence in neighbouring gardens due to there dogs digging lol but I won't leave her out here alone or to roam my home any ideas on the soaking I have read so many different opinions on it do I do it ? Don't I? How often ? It's all very daunting

Take care if there are dogs around: they could very easily harm a tort. I take Oli out for "walks" if so I may call them. I LITERALLY bodyguard him!

As for soaks, you should soak your tort DAILY in warm water. Nowadays, we have had EXTREMELY hot weather, and I soak Oli THREE times a day.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
If your tort is roaming around in your garden please stay beside her.

Pipes24

North east England
Well I soaked her yesterday and again this morning and the dogs can't get in we have 8 foot solid fencing wire and wood around my property I've lived here for 8 years now and the dogs have never got in i do have a dog my self she's getting old now and hasn't bothered with the tortoise at all but she's very relaxed she is a PATS dog ( dogs as therapy) we visit residential homes for the elderly and disabled we go school where children have learning difficulties , autisum speech problems the list goes on she is very calm and obedient and has encountered many different animals through out her life with PATS my tortoise was actually living in the garden with a dog for a long time until I got her yesterday no shelter for either pet it's unfortunate really

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Pipes, I'm not a leopard owner so I can't give the best advice on soaking one but here is my general feedback. Hopefully an experienced leopard owner will chime in.

Since she's new to you, a daily soak for a while can't hurt. You'll soon see that soaking is suggested for nearly every ailment a tort could have. :) It will also stimulate her to eat, although it doesn't sound like she has a problem with that! The third care sheet linked above gives some ideas to soaking frequency for an adult; it's going to vary by the humidity in your climate, there is no one best way.

My Russian doesn't like baths, so I give hers in the morning, while she's awake, but moving slow. If your leopard tolerates a bath well, give it to her when it's convenient.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your interest in caring properly for your tortoise

Pipes24

North east England
Also about weather is am in the UK in the north east Newcastle we are lucky to get a warm day never mind hot it rains 90% of summer hahaha

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I've lived here for 8 years now and the dogs have never got in i do have a dog my self she's getting old now and hasn't bothered with the tortoise at all but she's very relaxed she is a PATS dog ( dogs as therapy)

Pipes, the thing about dogs is they view tortoises as a calcium chew toy. Dogs chew! Maybe you'll never have a problem with this dog, but experienced owners will advise you against letting them run free together, for good reason. The enclosure your building will help with that.