Help im new

Pipes24

Location (City and/or State)
North east England
Hi everybody I'm new too all of this i have got my first tortoise I was told it was a blonde leapord tortoise and that it was male around 8 years old we are at our vets on Wednesday get him checked over as he was living in appalling conditions in a back garden he is so dirty and shy I was just wondering if you could help with sexing thanks in advance

20160828_203748.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipes24

North east England
Hi from the UK I have recently acquired what I was told was a blonde leapord tortoise male around 8 years old. He is off to see my vet on Wednesday for an over all check up as he wasn't living in very good conditions and I think HE may actually be a SHE from what I've seen and read on a few of these wonderful forums. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20160828_211114.jpg
    20160828_211114.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20160828_211047.jpg
    20160828_211047.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20160828_211140_002.jpg
    20160828_211140_002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • 20160828_211152.jpg
    20160828_211152.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi from the UK I have recently acquired what I was told was a blonde leapord tortoise male around 8 years old. He is off to see my vet on Wednesday for an over all check up as he wasn't living in very good conditions and I think HE may actually be a SHE from what I've seen and read on a few of these wonderful forums. Thanks in advance

Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Sorry, am no tort expert: cannot tell whether your tort is a male or a female. :( But I THINK - NOT sure that it's a male.

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and ask ANY question when in doubt. Give your tort DAILY soaks in warm water to stop the pyramiding, and make sure his/her enclosure is:

a) warm enough
b) humid "

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi everybody I'm new too all of this i have got my first tortoise I was told it was a blonde leapord tortoise and that it was male around 8 years old we are at our vets on Wednesday get him checked over as he was living in appalling conditions in a back garden he is so dirty and shy I was just wondering if you could help with sexing thanks in advance
Hi, sorry cannot tell whether your tort is a male or a female. :(

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and give your tort daily soaks to avoid pyramiding as well as dehydration.

As for your tort being shy, do not worry: torts do NOT like change, therefore they take time to adapt to a new environment.

Any pics of his/her enclosure?:)

Pipes24

North east England
Hi gillian he was living in a lady's back garden for quite a while my sister keeps lizards and together we are sorting a set up it wasn't planned for him to come to me but I couldn't see him in that garden day and night in thunder storms. I commented on the fact that surly he shouldnt be in a garden 24/7 her reply to me was you can take it for £120 cash NOW !! And as an animal lover I couldn't say no so here I am 1 tortoise up haha so I'm just trying to get as much information on there care as possible ... I have the money and the time to care for him just not the experience so any information would we greatly appreciated
Thank you

Pipes24

North east England
Also I have gave him a soak today to try and rid him of the thick set mud on his poor feet and legs and he pooed everywhere 6 times after his bath I'm. Unsure why this is ?

Pipes24

North east England
Hi there gillian he was living in a lady's back garden for quite a while my sister keeps lizards and together we are sorting a set up it wasn't planned for him to come to me but I couldn't see him in that garden day and night in thunder storms. I commented on the fact that surly he shouldnt be in a garden 24/7 her reply to me was you can take it for £120 cash NOW !! And as an animal lover I couldn't say no so here I am 1 tortoise up haha so I'm just trying to get as much information on there care as possible ... I have the money and the time to care for him just not the experience so any information would we greatly appreciated
Thank you

Pipes24

North east England
Also have gave him a soak today to try and rid him of the thick set mud on his poor feet and legs and he pooed everywhere 6 times after his bath I'm. Unsure why this is ?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi gillian he was living in a lady's back garden for quite a while my sister keeps lizards and together we are sorting a set up it wasn't planned for him to come to me but I couldn't see him in that garden day and night in thunder storms. I commented on the fact that surly he shouldnt be in a garden 24/7 her reply to me was you can take it for £120 cash NOW !! And as an animal lover I couldn't say no so here I am 1 tortoise up haha so I'm just trying to get as much information on there care as possible ... I have the money and the time to care for him just not the experience so any information would we greatly appreciated
Thank you

Although these cute little animals are used to roaming in the wild (as they please), I do not think it's the right place when it's YOUR/MY pet. A garden/yard is not always safe: a tort could get stolen, attacked by another creature, disappear.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Also I have gave him a soak today to try and rid him of the thick set mud on his poor feet and legs and he pooed everywhere 6 times after his bath I'm. Unsure why this is ?
Have you fed him? And if so, what?

Pipes24

North east England
Which is exactly why I have taken him he was a real mess covered in mud and in his shell in a corner so gave her the money for him. And he's at my house being Sunday I couldn't get any kind of enclosure for him but my and my husband are off out tomorrow to buy everything he needs to live comfortably I only actually got the poor thing around 6 hours ago ...... leaving him there was not an option he's beautiful xx

Pipes24

North east England
No he has been grazing on the grass and dandelion leaves in my garden this evening that was after I allowed him a soak . I've called my local reptile shop today and the kind gentleman is going to give him a look over tomorrow and sort out everything I need for him and a diet plan

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Which is exactly why I have taken him he was a real mess covered in mud and in his shell in a corner so gave her the money for him. And he's at my house being Sunday I couldn't get any kind of enclosure for him but my and my husband are off out tomorrow to buy everything he needs to live comfortably I only actually got his around 6 hours ago cut leaving him there was not an option he's beautiful xx
Great! Please check the "Enclosures" Section, where there are lots of ideas. And good luck!

Look forward yo seeing pics.

Marinated mamma

South east uk
He is lovely! Think his diet might need a little look at as pyramiding can be related to that, my boy is prone to that because he eats bugs therefore getting too much protein, but the vet will help you out there! But what a beauty, your going to love being a tortoise mummy! The vet will help to sex him/her too ( my guess ... Only a guess tho ... he/she looks like a she) welcome to tortoise motherhood xx

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum! :D

Sorry, am no tort expert: cannot tell whether your tort is a male or a female. :( But I THINK - NOT sure that it's a male.

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and ask ANY question when in doubt. Give your tort DAILY soaks in warm water to stop the pyramiding, and make sure his/her enclosure is:

a) warm enough
b) humid "
Just curious, why do you think this is a male?

Pipes24

North east England
Thank you everybody he/she is beautiful and welcomed addition to our every growing animal family lol I know I can give him/her a wonderful life I'm just clueless as to what care they need normally before I get a new animal I will look in to there care and breed before I commit to it but as leaving at that awful house was NOT an option here I am a proud tortoise mammy ..... how often do I bathe him ? He's currently walking around my living room being nosey I'll have everything he needs to have his own very large space by tomorrow dinner time exactly what he deserves