New Babies

Dana520

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson
Hi Everybody! Was wondering if you can help on a couple questions. We have two 3mnth old Sulcata hatchlings named Shelby & Mikey. When we bought them, they said they're high blonde. What makes them that? New to sulcatas. Had a Russian years ago. Also any opinions on red heat lamp vs. black for nighttime? Thanks a bunch.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Everybody! Was wondering if you can help on a couple questions. We have two 3mnth old Sulcata hatchlings named Shelby & Mikey. When we bought them, they said they're high blonde. What makes them that? New to sulcatas. Had a Russian years ago. Also any opinions on red heat lamp vs. black for nighttime? Thanks a bunch.
Hello and welcome. You've gotten the usual bad info all around.

There is no high blonde. Someone took your money.

They should never live in pairs. Groups of babies can work, but not pairs.

No light for night time. No incandescent bulb of any color. Use a ceramic heating element or a radiant heat panel, either with a thermostat to control it.

Please read this for the current and correct sulcata care info:

Dana520

Tucson

No light for night time. No incandescent bulb of any color. Use a ceramic heating element or a radiant heat panel, either with a thermostat to control it.

Thank for the welcome and Good info. They were the same price, nut wondering what makes their coloring a bit lighter than some sulcatas I've seen? Is it just si ce they're babies they are light right now? Appreciate all the good info & help.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Thank for the welcome and Good info. They were the same price, nut wondering what makes their coloring a bit lighter than some sulcatas I've seen? Is it just si ce they're babies they are light right now? Appreciate all the good info & help.
does the breeder mean ivory or albino? can you send pictures of them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Color within a clutch can vary. Spots and patterns will vary too. There is a wide range with some being lighter than others.

Dana520

Tucson
That was an Amazing article & tortoise care guide you wrote! I will definitely find something to put humidity in the enclosure. All of the info was very helpful. Thank you so much.

Dana520

Tucson

Attachments

• 20201010_101740.jpg
    20201010_101740.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200922_152554.jpg
    20200922_152554.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Dana520

Tucson
Color within a clutch can vary. Spots and patterns will vary too. There is a wide range with some being lighter than others.
Thanks again for all Ur good info and advice. Finally figured out how to attach some pics. This is Shelby & Mikey. Until we figure out if they' boys or girls.lol

Attachments

• 20201007_101824_HDR.jpg
    20201007_101824_HDR.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201007_101941_HDR.jpg
    20201007_101941_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
Shelby and Mikey are adorable.

In the last pic posted, do I see lots of strawberries? If they are, torts are not to have fruit. Fruit has lots of sugars, and torts just aren't designed to process sugars.

I know it's not flower season, but many flowers are edible and make a nice addition to meals.

Here is a post listing foods for torts. And if you want it, I have a very long list of good foods. Let me know...I'll PM it to you so everybody doesn't have to scroll past it.

Dana520

Tucson

Hi Tom!
Just wanted to let ya know I took Ur advice to upgrade my torts enclosure. I ordered a humidifier and I started closing off the off top. What a difference that made. Last night Shelby n Mikey didn't sleep under the hide.for the very 1st time.Thanks again for all your tortoise wisdom. Really appreciate you.
Wondering how old they have to be before I can tell their sex? They're almost 4mths old.

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
Hi Tom!
Just wanted to let ya know I took Ur advice to upgrade my torts enclosure. I ordered a humidifier and I started closing off the off top. What a difference that made. Last night Shelby n Mikey didn't sleep under the hide.for the very 1st time.Thanks again for all your tortoise wisdom. Really appreciate you.
Wondering how old they have to be before I can tell their sex? They're almost 4mths old.
when they're around 12-14 inches long, you should be able to tell. if you go to a vet, they might to able to do a surgery to tell, but i don't think it's worth it tbh.