Help! Books!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
"1984" by George Orwell. Big Brother is watching...

Animal Farm. Human Nature at its finest.

Lord of the Flies. Ditto.

To Kill a Mockingbird.

There is genius in some of the old classics.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I tend to like YA fantasy with strong heroines. Most of my recommendations will be along those lines. Or just good fantasy.

• The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey
  • Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (and its sequel Crown of Midnight)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (trilogy)
  • The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb
  • Graceling by Kristin Cashore (and companion books Fire and Bitterblue)
  • The Birthmarked trilogy by Caragh M. O'Brien
  • Eyes of Crow by Jeri Smith-Ready (trilogy)
  • The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip
  • The Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne
  • The Memoirs of Helen of Troy by Amanda Elyot
  • The Claidi Collection by Tanith Lee
  • The Dhampir series by Barb and JC Hendee
  • just about anything ever written by Tamora Pierce...Song of The Lioness quartet, The Immortals quartet, Protector of the Small quartet, Beka Cooper trilogy, Tricksters Choice and Tricksters Queen.

Harley kinz

5 Year Member
One of the books I love is Breathe by Sarah Crossan. This is a summery I got from a web site "When oxygen levels plunge in a treeless world, a state lottery decides who will live inside the pod. Everyone else will surely suffocate, everyone else will die. Years later, society is torn in two, the Premiums and the Auxiliaries. Only Premiums can afford enough oxygen to live a normal life, the Auxiliaries must watch their step; most haven't danced in years. But is there truth in what Breathe has told them?" I love it because It is not all focused on romance and it is amazing to read their struggles and see where they will end up

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Awhile back, I read a book called the first immortal Sci-fi, but based on tech that is slowly coming around. And the book World War Z is great, avoid the movie after you read the book, it will make you angry.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
American gods by niel gaiman
The stone casters trilogy by pam freeman
& I really liked the game of thrones books too.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Gone girl is amazing... Recommended! It's like an all out plot twist war :) it's an adult book, but so interesting...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Flashes of thought by HH Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum. A great book. I find the book a real inspiration :D

Last edited by a moderator:

puffy137

Methinks Us oldies have a lot in common , I'm another cheap-skate with my darling kindle , Barnaby Rudge , Martin Chuzzlewit, & now Little Dorrit. Jung Chang's Mao & the Dowager Empress were good too very factual etc , but not such a good read as her Wild Swans . Its great to be able to have all the classics for next to nothing , without having to search through my bookcases. All Thomas Hardy's too which I shall reread sometime. Anyone ever read anything by the late Christopher Hitchens ?? whoops Puff bite your tongue!

TCZaro

New England
If anyone still reads this thread: The Assassin's Apprentice is a great book. P.S. Goodreads is an excellent website to find book recommendations.

puffy137

As for the assassin's apprentice , the title does not appeal to me , but to each his own. I read a lot of biographies usually of politicians or public figures I have heard of & admire. I've read both of President Obama's as well as Colin Powell 's & people like that. Denis Healey a British politician wrote a great book , My Secret Planet, the books in my life. It tells of how books have helped & sustained him & its a darn good read.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
As for the assassin's apprentice , the title does not appeal to me , but to each his own. I read a lot of biographies usually of politicians or public figures I have heard of & admire. I've read both of President Obama's as well as Colin Powell 's & people like that. Denis Healey a British politician wrote a great book , My Secret Planet, the books in my life. It tells of how books have helped & sustained him & its a darn good read.
I Am Malala is a great book. I think you'll like it :)

puffy137

Oh yes I know her ! Brave girl , wondered how she became such a strong articulate personality.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
"1984" by George Orwell. Big Brother is watching...

LOVED this book!

I also suggest the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.

The Giver is a good book.

Maze Runner was great.

City of Bones series.

I have so many. Many are very chick-lit books though. :p