Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
terryo said:
Kelly, if you like mystery romances, try Nora Roberts. She has written hundreds of books, some under a different name. I loved all of them.

Don't you just LOVE the Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb series featuring Lt. Eve Dallas? I just can't wait for the next one to come out. I'm continually searching the book lists to see if there's a new one.

Yvonne

:D My husband and I fight over who gets to read Robb's books first...:D

Yvonne you sound a lot like my husband and I. We both read at least two books a week. If it's a good book, it normally can only last a single day, because I need to know how it ends. I too will reread my books, which drives Jeff up the wall. It's like watching a good movie again, you can find something new in it the second go round.

My problem has always been what to do with the read books. I have shelves, boxes, bags, and piles of them. I just hate throwing a book away,:rolleyes: I try giving them to friends, use to leave them at work, leave some at truck stops, and Jeff trades some in at used book stores.

I guess I like the ones with a murder involved or a bit on the dark side, but any book normally will do me. Not really into scifi like my husband nor autobiographies or serious books (except ones on animals).

Don't you all just cringe at the cost of a book?

Have any of you listened to the books on audio? We do that sometimes in the truck. Really strange to hear a voice and it not be how in your mind the voice "should" be. Still hearing somebody else reading the book, makes it almost a brand new story.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
Yvonne you sound a lot like my husband and I.
My problem has always been what to do with the read books. I have shelves, boxes, bags, and piles of them. I just hate throwing a book away,:
Have any of you listened to the books on audio? We do that sometimes in the truck.

I have one bedroom dedicated to books. The walls are lined with shelves, floor to ceiling...and are almost all filled up! They are all in alphabetical order by author. The closet was stuffed with Appaloosa News, Reptiles and Bird Talk. I finally went onto Free Cycle and gave away all the magazines, but I'll never part with the books. I think if my house ever caught on fire it would smolder for years because of all the books and toilet paper!!! My sister used to be a truck driver before her accident and she used to buy the books on audio. I've never listened to them, tho'.

And to answer a question in a previous post, Yes, JD Robb is a pseudomym of Nora Roberts.

Yvonne

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I never throw books away,, and that is why I got a library card last year! but I still buy ones i want to read.. but at work, i started a shelf for a 'Lending Library" now people bring in thier books share with others.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My sister joined a site on line to get audio books downloaded to her ipod. They are so cheap. She used to buy the audio books, and they were rediculously priced and she had boxes of them. Now she just down loads them and doesn't have them all over. They are great for when you have to travel to and from work.
I couldn't think of the other name that Nora Roberts wrote under....JD Robb.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Most of the truck stops have the audio books for rent. Of course renting them is almost the same cost as buying.

Laura your lucky to have a good library nearby. When home, I do check out books from our local one along with buying books. Just sorta is a pain when I think I have more books then them. :D

Do you guys like seeing a movie after you have read the book? Or are you like me and think the movies normally are so flat after reading the "real" story? Like I liked both Jaws and The Horse Whisperer as books, but thought the movies were a waste of time. They left out all the important indepth relationships and stuff.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Jacqui said:
Do you guys like seeing a movie after you have read the book? Or are you like me and think the movies normally are so flat after reading the "real" story? Like I liked both Jaws and The Horse Whisperer as books, but thought the movies were a waste of time. They left out all the important indepth relationships and stuff.

Usually I watch the movie after I read the book (if it exists). I always prefer the book, in the movies, it is so hard to know what the characters think or what goes in their mind. Per exemple, the notebook by Nicholas Sparks, I really loved the movie but the book was even better.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Have you tried realding any of the 'Tomorrow' serise by John Marsden. The first, Tomorrow when the war began. You can get them on amazon quite cheaply...

I have just finished 'Incedentary' By Chris Cleave and would reccommend it. Also read 'The lost Symbol' by dan brown this week and just now finished 'When i found you' (hyde).

My favorite books are 'The five people you meet in heaven' (Alcott) Goodnight Beautiful (koomsdon) Harvesting the Heart, Keeping Faith, My sisters Keeper (Picolout) , Time Travellers wife (Niffenger), The Girls (Lansens) Sophie's World (Gaardner).

Mayeb we could try having an online book club...not sure how that would work though. I normally read at least 3 books in an average week as i don't really watch an awful lot of TV. I don't throw any books away, though i do swaps with some people so that does free up a little space, but still the house if full of books. I also work in a small independant bookshop now and again which is good fun - much book banter to be had while i get paid!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the suggestions. I heard a lot of good comments about the time traveler's wife, It looks really good. Right now, I am reading the sookie stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, it is really good. wow 3 books a week, you read a lot :D my fiance thinks I read a lot and I only read a book per week lol.

alfiethetortoise said:
Have you tried realding any of the 'Tomorrow' serise by John Marsden. The first, Tomorrow when the war began. You can get them on amazon quite cheaply...

I have just finished 'Incedentary' By Chris Cleave and would reccommend it. Also read 'The lost Symbol' by dan brown this week and just now finished 'When i found you' (hyde).

My favorite books are 'The five people you meet in heaven' (Alcott) Goodnight Beautiful (koomsdon) Harvesting the Heart, Keeping Faith, My sisters Keeper (Picolout) , Time Travellers wife (Niffenger), The Girls (Lansens) Sophie's World (Gaardner).

Mayeb we could try having an online book club...not sure how that would work though. I normally read at least 3 books in an average week as i don't really watch an awful lot of TV. I don't throw any books away, though i do swaps with some people so that does free up a little space, but still the house if full of books. I also work in a small independant bookshop now and again which is good fun - much book banter to be had while i get paid!

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Lol. I read six books on holiday, literally can't take them all in my case as they weigh so much! Started 'The Origin of the Species' by Darwin today, and i think that may take me the best part of the next week! Something i have been meaning to do for a while. Goodreads.com is good for reviews and forums about books. I am guessing your in the USA. British libraries are much better than they used to be though i admit i often prefer to just buy the book, particulary if its an authour i 'follow' if that makes sense.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the website, I will check it out. I am not in the usa, I am from Canada. I never go to the libraby, because the good books are always on loan. There is a bookstore here called chapters, it is one of my favorite stores :D. I go maybe 2 times a week during my lunch break just to look around.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
The trouble with me and bookstores is that i always end up leaving with books, worked in the shop today and literally spent half my wages on books! Im in all day tomorrow so ill have to stick with Darwin and exercise someself controll! Amazon is good for cheap books, and Walmart if you have that (we have Asda, which i believe is also walmart - two paperbacks for £7). I have trouble finding new books sometimes, due to the sheer volume of books i can read and have already read. I tend to read a few new releases, and then backtrack ones that slipped through the net. Roughly it works out, but ofen i have spells of book hunting!

Any Canadian authours you can reccommend?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
A lot of my favorite authors are the UK or USA. I love Sophie Kinsella, she is from England. Have you ever read one of her books?

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Yes, Shopohoic and a Baby is hers? Domestic Goodess? I have read a couple and they are good light reading, though i find them sometimes a little predictable. Have you tried Carol Matthews (chocolate lovers club) they were very funny!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yes, it is her, I find her book really predictable but they are so funny :D I love her books. I heard a lot about Carol Matthews, I will have to buy one of her book one day. What is your favorite kinds of book?

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
I too love JD Robb / Nora Roberts, Iris Johanson, Janet Evanovich (keeps me laughing the whole time), Laurel Hamilton has 2 series that are very good - Anita Blake and Merridith (both are romantic / action), Dan Brown, James Rollings, and a lot more. I just got into audlible.com this past year and enjoy listening to the books on my I-Pod. Oh-- Jean Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear / Earth's Children series is the best!) I also belong to Double Day Book Club to save on the purchase of books.

Status
Not open for further replies.