Hello!

threecheers

Hello there! I'm new here. It's great to find this forum! I'm very happy to say that I will be (hopefully) getting myself a tortoise in mid March.

I've been really researching on types of tortoise is and much about many breeds, I've finally, after a year of research, is set on a Sulcata Tortoise. They seem like such an amazing breed!

I feel very calm watching a tortoise. They can easily out live us, any of us. They move so gracefully, very peaceful. I'm very fascinated by all the breeds, but Sulcata caught my eye very fast. It's kind of a struggle though, considering I live in Canada. Fortunately, I live in a fairly warm part of Canada. I'm over in Calgary, Alberta, where there is sunshine 8 months in a year!

Sure there are 4 cold months, luckily I have an unfinished basement I plan on allowing my tortoise to crawl around in when I cannot offer the backyard. I plan on keeping about half of the basement to build a large indoor garden. Now I love in a fairly large home, so that space would be the size of 3/4 of my backyard alone.

I've been researching about this specific breed (Sulcata) for about 6 months now, so I would say I'm familiar with a lot about them. I'd really appreciate if any of you guys know about where I can get myself a healthy Sulcata in Calgary? I'm very stuck on where to get one, I can't find any!

Please, I could also use some links for info about sulcatas, you can never know enough! I'll introduce my new tortoise once I get them :)

Very sorry everyone, this introduction is very messy. Please excuse that. I plan to be an active participant here. I can't wait to get to know some new tortoise lovers!

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It isn't the easiest keeping tortoises and turtles here, but it is very rewarding. Welcome to the forum. It's a wonderful place to learn and there are so many experienced and knowledgeable people here. Browse the forums for information on breeding, diet, enclosures, health, etc. There are sections that are dedicated to the different species and their care and requirements. Again, welcome! :)