Hello from New York!

harleeprice24

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello! I'm not a tortoise owner yet, but I plan on getting one eventually. I've wanted a tortoise for a long time now, and for the past few months I have been researching and getting serious about becoming a tortoise mom. I've decided to join here and learn some more before getting one. I was thinking either a Russian or a Hermann's. :)

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Upstate or in the City- Either way I am partial to my Russian, but to be honest I have never owned a Hermann's. Don't let the small size fool you they are scrappy and would need an 8'x4' enclosure as adults. Welcome and please check out the forums for both!

harleeprice24

New York
Upstate or in the City- Either way I am partial to my Russian, but to be honest I have never owned a Hermann's. Don't let the small size fool you they are scrappy and would need an 8'x4' enclosure as adults. Welcome and please check out the forums for both!
Upstate. Thank you for the info, I definitely will!

Sa Ga

MN
20200126_225405.jpg

Russian gets my vote! (Morla after an especially enthusiastic feeding session!)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My Russian came to live with me after I found him on Craigslist... it might be worth a look to see if you can help out a tort in need, and help yourself at the same time.

I lived for 20 years up in the Adirondacks, and only recently moved to NH, which has made winters softer for me, but still too rough and long for my torts.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

I agree that a Russian tortoise would be a good choice for a first tortoise, but bear in mind that just because it's a small species, that doesn't mean you can get away with setting it up on a small enclosure. They need a lot of roaming space.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO! A Russian is always an excellent beginner tortoise as they are sturdy enough to tolerate us mas we figure out what is the best keeping advice. Plus I am a bit obsessed with their "tough guy" personalities. Tiny little mafioso of the tortoise world quite frankly. So great