Hello!

pip

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi, I'm Pip! I actually do not have a tortoise yet, but I'm getting one (or 2, haha) sometime this month. :) I've been researching for a while now, and I feel that Russian tortoises would be a good fit for me. I have not had a tortoise before, but I have had plenty of other animals, as I used to live on a farm. I'm hoping to learn a lot from the more experienced members here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Read the caresheets under the Russian section. Russians, although small, still needs lots of room. Also tortoises don't do well in pairs and each would have to live in its own enclosure.

pip

California
Would they be ok together outside? I have a pretty good sized yard and was going to have them out most of the time except night and when it's too cold.

zip

Hi and welcome to the tortoise forum ! Im new here aswell. May i ask where are you getting your tortoise from ? Stay away from petco and pets smart !

pip

California
There were 2 people in my town needing to rehome their tortoises. If it would be a problem to have them around each other, I will just take one, though.

zip

What gender are they ? It all depends if they will get along sometimes if your lucky they will bond right away . and since you said they come from the same person then im guessing they are housed together so they might already get along?

pip

California
Thanks for the welcomes! I love tortoises too! :D

They are a male and a female. They aren't from the same person, or not currently anyways. I'm not sure where they got them from.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Pip, and welcome to the Forum!

Please consider that pairs of tortoises seldom work out unless you plan to have two separate habitats for them. Tortoises are solitary creatures and don't want or need the company of other tortoises.

If your two tortoises are different species they shouldn't be together anyway, and you should always quarantine tortoises for at least 3 months before you put them together. If these are Russian tortoises, then a male russian will harass the female so badly, trying to breed, that she will soon stay hidden all the time and probably stop eating.

pip

California
Ah, I was misinformed then about them being social. I will just take the female then. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Ah, I was misinformed then about them being social. I will just take the female then. :)
Unless you plan on breeding, maybe you could take the male instead. Just a suggestion, people are always looking for homes for their male Tortoises. The males are usually smaller than the females also if that matters.

pip

California
I had the female being held for me first, I actually just recently found the male that needs a new home. If he's still available when I have money for a new enclosure, I might take him as well. Size isn't really a problem for me.

Is there a reason I should choose the male instead?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I had the female being held for me first, I actually just recently found the male that needs a new home. If he's still available when I have money for a new enclosure, I might take him as well. Size isn't really a problem for me.

Is there a reason I should choose the male instead?
I would not get a pair. Pears don't do well together no matter how big the enclosure is really. But if you can make two enclosures then go for it. I was just thinking of all the people trying to rehome a male tortoise because males are usually more aggressive and they usually only need one or two for a breeding group. The recommended ratio of male to female is 1to 3.

Alaskamike

South Florida
hello i am jacob carl. i am new joiner to this group.i have brought tortoise 2 year before . it has grown very well. i want to know some tip so that it can grow more healthier.
Jacob
Go to the intro section and post more information
Where you live
What species of tortoise you have
How they are housed now
And photos if you can

That way others can advise

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Pip, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
It's great that you are trying to help out these torts, but pairs is not good, as has been said.
Also have a look at these threads to see what you will need to do.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
and regarding pairs.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/
Whether you get one or both, good luck and welcome to the addictive and wonderful world of tortoise keeping.