Hello :)

Kurtis

Location (City and/or State)
Newfoundland, Canada
Ello!

My name is Kurtis, I am a highschool student, I have many mammalian pets though I am currently interesting in caring for a tortoise (note I'll be saying 'caring for' instead of 'pet' as I don't believe in 'owning' animals). I am not the merest bit familiar with reptiles at all, though I am also the one who prepares for everything- so I plan on researching well before I get my tort. (Hence why I joined this forum :)!).

Now for some information, as it may be useful... I live in Newfoundland, Canada. It is fairly cold here throughout the year we get moderate wheather in spring/summer (approx. 17C). I plan on caring for a hermanns tortoise, and plan on keeping it indoors. I'd love feedback and information on what to do to prepare for buying a turtle, all the equipment etc.

Well, thanks for your time reading this and I hope I get to meet some new people on these forums, if anyone has anything to share about their experiences with tortoises or anything at all to help me get introduced into how it's like to have a tortoise as a pet is appreciate it a lot. I've guessed I've blabered on enough, I should probably stop here- (can't you tell I am one who prepares excessively Hee hee)

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Welcome!!!

Planning for a tort is a very smart decision. You can get plants/food, lighting and heat all settled.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Welcome :) is there a type of tortoise you would like to care for? Or are you up for suggestions? Also, tortoises require a lot if space to roam, a secure outdoor enclosure, if the weather is warm enough, would be ideal. some of us live in mostly cold weather regions so a large indoor enclosure is needed instead.

Kurtis

Newfoundland, Canada
Welcome :) is there a type of tortoise you would like to care for? Or are you up for suggestions? Also, tortoises require a lot if space to roam, a secure outdoor enclosure, if the weather is warm enough, would be ideal. some of us live in mostly cold weather regions so a large indoor enclosure is needed instead.
I was hoping on getting a hermanns tortoise, Ive read that it is a very suitable tort for beginning with, though I am up for suggestions for sure :).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello amd welcome

Take some time reading the following. Ask before you buy anything for the enclosure - it will save you making expensive mistakes. Most pet stores lack expertise with tortoises and will sell you all manner of things that are not actually suitable.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Hermann's Care Sheet
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

One other thing: Torts are solitary creatures and don't want company. Get just one - s/he doesn't need a friend.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have just realised that you are in High School. You need to be aware that tortoises are not portable pets. They don't like change.

You need to think carefully about vacation care - who will be able to come to your home to do it? And also about your future plans. Will your family be prepared to care if you go to college for example?

A tort is a pet for life and that's likely to be 50 years or more. You may decide that it's more sensible to wait until you have graduated and know where you will be living rather than give your parents a burden.

Kurtis

Newfoundland, Canada
Ah yes I have thought about that. I am going to university after highschool, though I am not moving, in fact I live 5 minutes from my university so I'll be staying with my parents haha.. I do have many questions such as what you were saying about vacation, and that is the result of why I joined this forum just to get all of my queries situated. Thankyou for your concern though :)