Hello. (Squirt)

Jackjames

Hello,

Signed up the forum to hopefully pick up any tips from experianced tortoise owners.

My girlfriend was given a tortoise a year or so ago called flash (lol) unfortunatly when we came home one day we found he had ended up on his back due to a tunnel that was in his box and he had died.

She was devasted but a few months later i surprised her with a new tortoise that she named squirt, a horsefield that we think is around 5 years old.

For months he would shoot into his shell if you put your hand anywhere near him and all he did would lay under his hay and would not eat. (Possibly trying to hibernate?)

Now he is unbelievably lively we get him out as much as possibly and he runs around the kitchen floor like a possessed tortoise.

Are tortoises known for being so lively? I feel like he needs so much exercise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 41

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Well, Russian tortoises are pretty active, however, I'm thinking the reason your tortoise runs around like a crazy person when brought out of the habitat is because you're plunking him down into enemy territory and he's frantically trying to find a safe spot before the boogeyman gets him.

You're correct in thinking he needs lots of exercise. That's why we're always telling people to provide the absolutely largest habitat for their indoor tortoise that you can possible afford or have space for. A used book case with the shelves removed is a great size for a tortoise.

Jackjames

Hi yvonne.

We get him out as he gets into the corners of his box and scrapes away for a bit he seems pretty happy walking around the kitchen, we put him in the bath too with some water.

Amazing creatures i would never have thought of having a tortoise

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Grandpa asks where you're from because it helps us all connect a little more. He's in Arizona, I'm in Oregon. Sometime various members local to each other will even have a get together.
I've got 11 russian tortoises and as Yvonne has said, they love and need space. The most you can make as far as space and finances will allow. And an enclosure doesn't need to be unsightly. Many keepers have planted enclosures that are true masterpieces of creativity.
Have you found the section on the forum that is specifically geared towards russian tortoises? It's full of great information and a great place to learn and ask questions to help you become the best owner you can be.
All that babble aside, welcome to the forum. You've found the best online community for proper care and help and a great group of folks. Glad to have you and your girlfriend here.

Jackjames

We are from leeds, england.

Yes i was looking theough the russian forums last night and also the enclosure section some great boxes for the tortoises i will attach mine

We keep saying 'he' but to tell you the truth we do not know the sex of our tortoise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 11