Me and squirt

kellieA113

Location (City and/or State)
Street, Somerset, UK
Hi there, I'm Kellie and I have a tortoise named squirt we are from Somerset
I am currently in the process of building him a new table.
I'm thinking about getting another tortoise soon and wondered whether getting the same breed but female would be okay if not suggestions would be great! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431330445.653383.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431330456.319432.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Cute tortoise! If you do add another one be sure you have room for another enclosure. Torts don't do well in pairs.

Reactions: pam

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kellie welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Dogs and cats do great in pairs but not torts they do better in trios . But have a great tort day !

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Getting a female to live with him would be cruel and abusive. Blunt speaking, but important to understand. Male RTs have no off switch. In captivity, the female cannot escape his attentions. The endless sexual activity can injure or kill the female.

Two males will fight, and again that can end in injury or death. Even when no discernible injury results, one can become terribly stressed leading to illness & death. The bullied one does not have access to food, water, proper temperatures & basking area...and fails.

Two females also can fall into the same bullying behavior & results.

Three is the *minimum* number of horsefields that *might* work, with one male and the burden of his attentions spread between the two females. Three females is even better. However, a breeding colony requires a lot of space and many sight breaks. There is still no guarantee that the group dynamics will work.

Any new animal must be quarantined before introduction, so you need additional habitats for 3-6 months.

Build Squirt the biggest possible habitat. Then consider if you still have the space and desire to build another. Few of us can resist getting more tortoises, but you can slow down on the decision process. If you get another that requires the same setup and diet and care it will be simpler, even if they don't live together.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
In short, tortoises don't have, or need friends.
They are happier alone.
Hello, Kellie, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
You've come to the right place for all your tortoise info.
Have a look around and read the caresheets.
Read, learn, participate, ask questions and have fun!
I was born in Bridgwater and grew up near Cheddar.
Lived in Weston-super-Mare and met wifey there.
Got married at the Roman Baths in Bath.
Know Street quite well.
Somerset rules!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best case is Squirt living alone as the sole king/queen of the castle. Tortoises do not want or need "friends". In fact another tortoise is not seen as a friend. It is seen as an intruder, competitor, rapist or combatant.

In some cases groups of three or more can work out. This usually involves very large outdoor enclosures with lots of plants and hiding spots. It doesn't always work out though, so anyone with more than one tortoise needs to be prepared to house them all individually. Are you ready for that?

Here is more info on the subject:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kellie!

And something that hasn't already been said - never mix species.