hello... I'm a newbie!

Nybors

Good morning. I've just received my baby Sulcata Tortoises last night. We bought 3. Right now they are in a rabbit drop pan filled with carefresh. And Timothy hay. I have a heat lamp and 3 homemade homes and a water dish. Temp is 88. My sunlight light ubv or something, and a bunch of other things should be here Thursday. .was suppose to be here last Saturday. . Holidays I guess so I'm making do with what I could find locally. They have not shown any interest in the spring mix I have provided or the water... and 1 of them is very inactive. .. I'm already in love with them but really nervous. .. I live in central louisiana and we are keeping them inside -with outside walks when weather permits. Any 1st time...1st day advice would be great!

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your Baby Sulcata are really cute !

Whenever I have young ones ( under 3 years ) soaking in warm water 85-95f everyday for 20-30 minutes is part of my routine. I put them in a Rubbermaid container and fill it till the water about 1/2 way up their shell. They walk around and so times drink.

This helps get their systems moving and insures hydration as well. They often poop in the water.

There are important care sheets pinned at the top of the Sulcata section. Best thing you could do is read them.

They will eat soon. New environments often take a few days to become safe to them.

Hope all goes well

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't panic. You will get all the help you need, here. And let me assure you: we all began from "zero."

You adorable torts will eat if it's warm enough. Torts also take time to get used to new places. Some patience is required here.;)

Ask ANY question when in need of help, or in doubt.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort: Good luck to you and your torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is 88 the highest temp and from right under the light?

Nybors

Is 88 the highest temp and from right under the light?
Right now yes but I can get it hotter ... y other lights come in thursday. It's 88 to about the middle then it cools down where their houses are

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
You should try to get it warmer even if you just use a regular bulb temporarily . and hi and welcome too ! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Nybors

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your Baby Sulcata are really cute !

Whenever I have young ones ( under 3 years ) soaking in warm water 85-95f everyday for 20-30 minutes is part of my routine. I put them in a Rubbermaid container and fill it till the water about 1/2 way up their shell. They walk around and so times drink.

This helps get their systems moving and insures hydration as well. They often poop in the water.

There are important care sheets pinned at the top of the Sulcata section. Best thing you could do is read them.

They will eat soon. New environments often take a few days to become safe to them.

Hope all goes well

I am soaking them now... how do you keep the water warm? I had to dip out wat er and add more warm.. they are crawling everywhere trying to get out... I feel bad..

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I am soaking them now... how do you keep the water warm? I had to dip out wat er and add more warm.. they are crawling everywhere trying to get out... I feel bad..
Well done! That's a good start. :)

That's exactly what I do to keep the water warm, when soaking OLI :<3: (my beloved Greek tort). I get rid of the water that has cooled down, and replace it with warm water, especially these days, as Winter has begun here, and it's very cold. :(

Alaskamike

South Florida
Don't be concerned that they scramble around and try to get out. This soaking thing is new too. Normal reaction. Over time that too becomes routine. I found that adding warm water as it cools is needed.

A temp gun ( shoots out a lazer like light ) gives an accurate temp of anything you point it at.

A valuable tool in raising tortoises. Got mine at Home Depot for under $15. This helps greatly in knowing what the water temp actually is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If I'm not mistaken, Care Fresh is made from paper????? That's not a good baby sulcata substrate. Your babies need a moist substrate so they can live in a humid environment, and the Care Fresh will mold if you keep it moistened. Some of us use coco coir and some of us use orchid bark. Some even use clean dirt from the back yard. Anything that you can moisten will do.

Please be sure to read the threads linked in Tom's post, especially the Beginner Mistakes thread.

Nybors

Don't be concerned that they scramble around and try to get out. This soaking thing is new too. Normal reaction. Over time that too becomes routine. I found that adding warm water as it cools is needed.

A temp gun ( shoots out a lazer like light ) gives an accurate temp of anything you point it at.

A valuable tool in raising tortoises. Got mine at Home Depot for under $15. This helps greatly in knowing what the water temp actually is.

i do have one of those!!! never thought of that... thanks!!

Nybors

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

If I'm not mistaken, Care Fresh is made from paper????? That's not a good baby sulcata substrate. Your babies need a moist substrate so they can live in a humid environment, and the Care Fresh will mold if you keep it moistened. Some of us use coco coir and some of us use orchid bark. Some even use clean dirt from the back yard. Anything that you can moisten will do.

Please be sure to read the threads linked in Tom's post, especially the Beginner Mistakes thread.

Nybors

ok so i need to throw out my care fresh (found this forum after I was told to buy it.. but i sure can throw it out!}
I also have forest floor bedding 100% cypress mulch and timothy hay - could i use that just until (the order i'm about to place) the other stuff comes in?

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
t2002.gif