I'm no expert but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Met someone today at a public event that had turtles and 3 sulcata tortoise with her. I know I'm a newbie to the sulcata tort, but ..... Not only did she not believe humidity had anything to do with pyramiding (because she read all the books), but believed her tort with the worst pyramiding was her "Best Specimen". :( I began to disagree with her, but realized I would not get anywhere with her and that this wasn't the place to be in an arguement.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
froghaven5 said:
, ...but believed her tort with the worst pyramiding was her "Best Specimen". :( I began to disagree with her, but realized I would not get anywhere with her and that this wasn't the place to be in an argument.

Lots of folks think that the pyramided carapace is quite beautiful. You'd be surprised how many times I've heard comments on Dudley's bumps as being just the prettiest shell ever.

Good for you on backing off. You've got to pick your battles.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, Welcome to my world.

I usually give these kind of people the spiel anyway. I try to do it nicely and tactfully, explaining my observations and experiences. Whenever possible, I show them pics. Can't argue with pics of smooth torts.

Even if they disregard what I'm saying, I at least feel like I've planted a seed. Most people's reaction is to rebuff new info at first, but after you leave and they have a chance to think it over, and they WILL think it over, they will usually consider what has been said. Then, the next time they hear it from a totally different source, it will have much more credence. If they keep hearing from many different, unrelated sources they will eventually believe it and start repeating it.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Well I guess it bothers me a lot because I know she is out there teaching other people how they are "cared for". She is called "The Turtle Lady" and does a lot of these events. Hubby just looked her up and found she has a myspace page. Not sure it would be appropriate to post her site here, but he thought others could comment about the pyramiding you can see in her pics she has posted. She also was telling me that she could sex my 2 month old sulcata when I told her I knew it was too young. She insisted this was wrong. Guess she'll be surprised if her "female" Fluffy who is still pretty small turns out to be a boy now won't she.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
froghaven5 said:
Well I guess it bothers me a lot because I know she is out there teaching other people how they are "cared for". She is called "The Turtle Lady" and does a lot of these events. Hubby just looked her up and found she has a myspace page. Not sure it would be appropriate to post her site here, but he thought others could comment about the pyramiding you can see in her pics she has posted. She also was telling me that she could sex my 2 month old sulcata when I told her I knew it was too young. She insisted this was wrong. Guess she'll be surprised if her "female" Fluffy who is still pretty small turns out to be a boy now won't she.

Well some are fine with being 50% right I quess.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I did a google search for "The Turtle Lady" and a whole bunch of stuff comes up. Can you give a little more of a hint, like what city or area of the country she might be in? I'm young and still a glutton for punishment and I'd like to contact her. You can PM me if you don't want to do it publicly.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Try myspace and do a turtle lady search would be my guess. I run into this all the time at my turtle club when new members come in, I try and be diplomatic because naturally I don't want to scare new members off, but it hurts me sometimes when I see the shape some of these animals are in, well intentioned people but just giving wrong care.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dmmj said:
Try myspace and do a turtle lady search would be my guess. I run into this all the time at my turtle club when new members come in, I try and be diplomatic because naturally I don't want to scare new members off, but it hurts me sometimes when I see the shape some of these animals are in, well intentioned people but just giving wrong care.

You can't cook a chicken without ruffling a few feathers... and this chicken needs to be cooked!

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Tom said:
I did a google search for "The Turtle Lady" and a whole bunch of stuff comes up. Can you give a little more of a hint, like what city or area of the country she might be in? I'm young and still a glutton for punishment and I'd like to contact her. You can PM me if you don't want to do it publicly.

I wasn't sure I should post this, but then I realized this is a public website so here it is...
www.myspace.com/njturtlelady

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Tom said:
Even if they disregard what I'm saying, I at least feel like I've planted a seed. Most people's reaction is to rebuff new info at first, but after you leave and they have a chance to think it over, and they WILL think it over, they will usually consider what has been said. Then, the next time they hear it from a totally different source, it will have much more credence. If they keep hearing from many different, unrelated sources they will eventually believe it and start repeating it.

AMEN!! This sums up humans and our usual path of learning.

moswen

5 Year Member
*ADMISSION*

I at first chose a sulcata tort because I thought they were "just so awesome with their bumpy shells"

Show her a picture of the sliced pyramided shell that yvonne pinned in one of these forums.. It might change her mind on how healthy and safe that is.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Moswen Have you ever tried convincing a brick wall to change it's mind? I would imagine it would be the same with this lady.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Can someone link me to the shell thats been cut in half? I really feel like I missed something here.

moswen said:
*ADMISSION*

I at first chose a sulcata tort because I thought they were "just so awesome with their bumpy shells"

Show her a picture of the sliced pyramided shell that yvonne pinned in one of these forums.. It might change her mind on how healthy and safe that is.

I would have to quietly agree, although I know that big round shells are the epitomy of good sulcata care, there is something about the flared scutes and slight pyramiding that is almost prehistoric.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
emysemys said:

Thanks for posting that. I will be reading the whole thread when I have more time.

Thanks for posting that. I will be reading the whole thread when I have more time.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
those are amazing pics, yvonne, thanks, those pyramids have got to be so much weaker than a normal carapace

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the only leopard torts Id evern seen were in Zoos and they ALL were pyrmided .. I thought that was 'normal'. We know better now.. and ther e is no excuse..

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have to admit that I too thought the pyramided shells of the sulcata we had seen before we got 1 were really neat looking. I'm just glad I found this website as I have learned a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.