Newbie chimming in... Hello eveybody!!

Mortis_thetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
west central Florida
yeahhh i when i seen 5oz hes not that tiny, sorry about that.
been reading and looking up things about the new growth rings and making observations with a second ( and more educated look) i can see he has quite a bit of growth rings (idn what they are technically called) but i feel with confidence a tortoise with more growth rings would be larger and older than one with less.

still learning here !

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Okay Houston I think I have a problem not understanding why he is doing this please help

Attachments

• 20170324_160354.jpg
    20170324_160354.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Whats the temperature in your enclosure? Maybe he doesnt like the log hide, u have another humid hide in your enclosure? They like to wake up, warm up, eat, roam about, eat sleep, graze, repeat. Might be too "something" , and trying to get away.?

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
Whats the temperature in your enclosure? Maybe he doesnt like the log hide, u have another humid hide in your enclosure? They like to wake up, warm up, eat, roam about, eat sleep, graze, repeat. Might be too "something" , and trying to get away.?
that maybe I know the small 20 gallon I'd kind of cramped I do have a 4ft by 8ft tortoise table but have not yet set it up because I wanted to keep area humid and warm at least for first couple of years I keep area at 82 during night and about 90 during day I do need to rearrange some things but need some time to get to it

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
question tortoise is starting to burrow deep in substrate is this okay or is it a sign of an underlying problem temp setting to 87 during day and 82 at night humidity is at about 80% and substrate is economic earth

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
he is mobile and eats good and walks all over yard when I let him out only thing is since I started giving him Mazuri that's all he wants to eat will not eat anything else I even got some prickly pear and he won't even touch it but will eat dandelions from out side and various flowers he may come across

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
he is mobile and eats good and walks all over yard when I let him out only thing is since I started giving him Mazuri that's all he wants to eat will not eat anything else I even got some prickly pear and he won't even touch it but will eat dandelions from out side and various flowers he may come across
Human babies do that too:) I was chopping my cactus and greens very finely, soak the mazuri in warm water and once soft, mash the pellets up and mix into the chopped salad than just put couple of those soft pellet pieces on top of the pile to entice them to get on with eating. It usually works great

Pearly

5 Year Member
question tortoise is starting to burrow deep in substrate is this okay or is it a sign of an underlying problem temp setting to 87 during day and 82 at night humidity is at about 80% and substrate is economic earth
I had some issues with my temps too in the beginnings. My worry was always the accuracy of the readings. I had digital thermo-hugrometer, and the reading was only accurate for the area where the probes were placed. I then bought 4 digital thermometers and put them in 4 different areas of my 40 gal terrarium, and the probes were inside the hides suspended in the air to get the ambient accurately as much as poss. This was much better, and gave me much better idea of what things felt like for them down there. There could be a great difference from one area to another. But it really wasn't until i got good temp gun that my problems were fixed. I had had the lil expensive infrared thermometer from petco but it was not as easy to use, the home depot hardware section temp gun really gets the job done! You can use it everywhere! Outside, in their bath, you can check their carapace temp... awesome stuff! So before you implement any changes make sure you get accurate readings and keep in mind that torts can overheat and become very dehydrated quickly. The ideal temp for me is 80, that's what it is where mine sleep. The substrate temp inside their hides is always 79F. I make sure it doesn't get any cooler than that

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
my little guy is now 70 grams have not noticed much growth but gaining weight is always a good sign woohoo no signs of pyramiding yet either his humidity is kept between 70-80 and temps about 86-88

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
he is now 80 grams still gaining still have not noticed much differencee in size and no noticable difference in food intake or signs of pyramiding

Pearly

5 Year Member
my little guy is now 70 grams have not noticed much growth but gaining weight is always a good sign woohoo no signs of pyramiding yet either his humidity is kept between 70-80 and temps about 86-88
86 is little high. Make sure he has a place in his enclosure where he can get away from the heat. I keep ambient at 80 in one hide and the temp of the substrate there is always 79. 86-88 around the bright area is ok. And then of course the basking temp higher

Pearly

5 Year Member
he is now 80 grams still gaining still have not noticed much differencee in size and no noticable difference in food intake or signs of pyramiding
Patience, my friend! He is picking up mass now! That's good! You want them to feel solid when you pick them up, like little rocks:)

kalei01

5 Year Member
Lubbock, TX
107 grams man he was hungry today ate like a pig mine has a split scute near the tail I read so much that they won't make it to adulthood is this true
oh well I already picked name groovy dont want to change it

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
107 grams man he was hungry today ate like a pig mine has a split scute near the tail I read so much that they won't make it to adulthood is this true

No, I believe that is false!