Hello, I'm a newbie

Colette

Well, I'm happy with that..Doesn't make alot of difference.. He's awesome whatever he is..I'm worried he doesn't eat much. I gave him carrot, sprouts and green beans today..he did eat quite a bit of it, and he's been in the garden all day eating dandelions and other bits.. I assume he's getting enough.. Not sure what he used to eat
I'm going for male TGG like Joe :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Well, I'm happy with that..Doesn't make alot of difference.. He's awesome whatever he is..I'm worried he doesn't eat much. I gave him carrot, sprouts and green beans today..he did eat quite a bit of it, and he's been in the garden all day eating dandelions and other bits.. I assume he's getting enough.. Not sure what he used to eat
He is a grassland tort, so his diet should be mostly greens. Grazed from the garden is great. It's a low protein, low sugar diet.

He can't process sugars properly - they damage the kidneys - so fruit, carrot, tomato and bell pepper should only be fed very occasionally.

Bean leaves can be fed in moderation, but the beans themselves are high in protein so shouldn't be fed.

He should have free access to water outside. Terracotta plant saucers make great water bowls as their sides are low.

You will find the Tortoise Table Plant Database very useful for checking out what's good to feed. (Just ignore what it says about buttercups - Joe has eaten them for the last 46 years without a problem - I think they form too small a part of his diet overall to be a problem)
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Keep an eye on his weight. For consistency, weigh him once or twice a month first thing in the morning.

He should weigh a good 3kg. Joe is currently 3.15kg and will go up to nearer 3.3 at his peak - he's recovering from hibernation loss.

I would be interested to know his straight length - Joe is 26cm, but yours may be bigger still. Here's how to do it
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

Colette

Wow
He is a grassland tort, so his diet should be mostly greens. Grazed from the garden is great. It's a low protein, low sugar diet.

He can't process sugars properly - they damage the kidneys - so fruit, carrot, tomato and bell pepper should only be fed very occasionally.

Bean leaves can be fed in moderation, but the beans themselves are high in protein so shouldn't be fed.

He should have free access to water outside. Terracotta plant saucers make great water bowls as their sides are low.

You will find the Tortoise Table Plant Database very useful for checking out what's good to feed. (Just ignore what it says about buttercups - Joe has eaten them for the last 46 years without a problem - I think they form too small a part of his diet overall to be a problem)
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Keep an eye on his weight. For consistency, weigh him once or twice a month first thing in the morning.

He should weigh a good 3kg. Joe is currently 3.15kg and will go up to nearer 3.3 at his peak - he's recovering from hibernation loss.

I would be interested to know his straight length - Joe is 26cm, but yours may be bigger still. Here's how to do it
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm
Wow, that's an awful lot of helpful information. he's taken himself off to bed now. I will weigh and measure him in the morning. I've given him a plastic box upturned with a door cut into it..it's similar to what the previous lady kept him in. Eeeeek, I hope I'm doing everything right..thanku so much for all your help xx

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have rather a lot of experience with a tort of this type and age being kept outdoors in the UK. I am happy to pass it on. :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I haven't bothered in pots. My garden isn't that well manicured :D

We had turf replaced a few years ago and I did scatter some white clover seed I got from here as Joe loves it so much. The dandelions, buttercups, etc have arrived of their own accord. I found some plantain for the first time last year, so that's self set.

I have 3 types of plant in the garden:
'Big enough to resist Joe', 'trampled but able to recover' and 'edible but able to recover'.

The other two types are 'edible - eaten to destruction' and 'trampled - never recovered'. You put those down to experience and don't waste your money on them again :D

Colette

Oh ok, my garden isn't manicured atall. A few weeds, I was thinking of making a bed just for the tortoise, and saw seed mixes so was just going to buy them and see what happens really.. They're only a few quid.. I don't have any clover..a few dandelions.. Mostly moss though

We had turf replaced a few years ago and I did scatter some white clover seed I got from here as Joe loves it so much. The dandelions, buttercups, etc have arrived of their own accord. I found some plantain for the first time last year, so that's self set.

'Big enough to resist Joe', 'trampled but able to recover' and 'edible but able to recover'.

The other two types are 'edible - eaten to destruction' and 'trampled - never recovered'. You put those down to experience and don't waste your money on them again :D

Colette

Yes I went on shelled warrior site..x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Collette and welcome to you and Tortie. he is lovely.
Just curious - did he hibernate at all or just wander the heated house in the winter?

Colette

Hello, thanku...
He did hibernate yes..the lady would put him in a box and he would then go in the loft of her garage
Hi Collette and welcome to you and Tortie. he is lovely.
Just curious - did he hibernate at all or just wander the heated house in the winter?