Hello from Kenmore, WA

DanaM

Hi,

We got our first Russian Tortoise (first tortoise of any kind) last week and want to make sure we are taking care of him. The family we got him from said he was four years old. He had been living in a long glass tank with pellet-like stuff for substrate, so we turned an old bookshelf into a tort table this morning and we need a little advice. We used half organic potting soil and half coconut coir for the substrate, but it seems like it's too moist. I think it will dry out, but would the play sand/coconut coir be a better choice?

Also, his table is divided in to three parts. Should we cover one section and keep it dark and cool? Or should there be heat and light everywhere? And, do we need to keep the enclosure covered with a screen? I don't think he can climb out, it's pretty deep.

We've put some rocks and a hide log in one section. What else is good for entertainment? Is there something special we should put under the heat lamp (which is where he usually sleeps)?

I'm not sure if he likes his new place yet, he seems sort of anxious, but after walking from room to room for about two hours he's finally stopped to eat some dandelions.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Dana

M

Maggie Cummings

He should have a hide to sleep in, I put it in the middle between the hot side and the cool one. Russians really like to cool off at night. Don't think you need a screen and your substrate will dry out, but for my Russian I kept the substrate kind of damp. It sounds like you are doing right by him, I commend you for knowing he was in a not so good situation, and improving on it. How about some photos of your tort table and your tortoise?

DanaM

Thanks! We need to get something to attach the lighting/heat, but here's his new home so far and a few picture of Bowser.WP_20140426_15_47_24_Pro.jpg WP_20140426_15_41_59_Pro.jpg WP_20140426_15_50_07_Pro (2).jpg WP_20140426_15_50_07_Pro (2).jpg WP_20140426_15_50_07_Pro (2).jpg WP_20140426_15_47_24_Pro.jpg WP_20140426_15_41_59_Pro.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Maybe some lights in other parts of the enclosure? You can use just plain lightbulbs for that. Just a suggestion. In my indoor enclosure I also have some spider plants and a jade plant. He takes a couple nibbles off of them once in a while. But they are safe for him. Some people say to put a piece of slate under the heat lamp but when I do that my Tortoise about's lay on it but yours might like it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to our Forum, Dana!

You did a nice job on the habitat. The tortoise's beak needs to be filed. Don't let it get any longer than it is or it starts to flare out, duck-like.

DanaM

We will add some plants and more light, thanks! I'll also get some slate for under the heat lamp and maybe to put in front of the water and food dishes.

Thanks for letting me know about his beak! I found instructions on how to do it, so we'll get on it!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Dana welcome to the TFO from AZ . They say the new baby's beak is a little long just put its food on a peace of slate and as it eats it will take the breakdown a little . Have a great tort day :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Welcome from Washington!
Have you seen Katie's blog? She is a member on the forum as biochemnerd808. She has instructions on beak trimming. You can do it with a coarse nail file, although it is more tedious. But you might want to wait so she settles in first, unless she seems to have trouble eating.
Put a piece of slate under the basking light to absorb warmth, and a little bit away for a feeding station (so the greens and weeds don't fry under the light), to help trim the beak.

Having the substrate moist underneath, but a bit drier on the surface is fine. I just add water from a teapot and mix, about once per week, or as needed. That is a very good substrate, personally I would not add sand.

Do you have a good way to measure temps? A lot of us like the infared thermometers. You point and take the temp. You can get it on Amazon, Home depot, etc.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Here is a picture of mine. I have a small second level, which you don't need, yours is great! But it gives you an idea of 'landscaping'. I like to have some larger rocks in rows, so they climb over them and keep their nails trimmed.

I agree about adding a regular light, perhaps 75w, over one of the other sections. Creates some warmth and boosts the light.
Make sure your lights are on about 12 hours per day or so.

Fake plants from a Craft store.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 10

DanaM

Here is a picture of mine. I have a small second level, which you don't need, yours is great! But it gives you an idea of 'landscaping'. I like to have some larger rocks in rows, so they climb over them and keep their nails trimmed.

I agree about adding a regular light, perhaps 75w, over one of the other sections. Creates some warmth and boosts the light.
Make sure your lights are on about 12 hours per day or so.

Fake plants from a Craft store.
Wow- it's great! I have a feeling ours will evolve and get better with time. I just added a jade and spider plant and some slate rocks. We hung a light, so all areas are light now. Thanks!

DanaM

Welcome from Washington!
Have you seen Katie's blog? She is a member on the forum as biochemnerd808. She has instructions on beak trimming. You can do it with a coarse nail file, although it is more tedious. But you might want to wait so she settles in first, unless she seems to have trouble eating.
Put a piece of slate under the basking light to absorb warmth, and a little bit away for a feeding station (so the greens and weeds don't fry under the light), to help trim the beak.

Having the substrate moist underneath, but a bit drier on the surface is fine. I just add water from a teapot and mix, about once per week, or as needed. That is a very good substrate, personally I would not add sand.

Do you have a good way to measure temps? A lot of us like the infared thermometers. You point and take the temp. You can get it on Amazon, Home depot, etc.
Just added some slate! I did see Katie's blog and the instructions, but I think I will wait, as you suggested, and see if the slate works to keep his beak trimmed. Thank you!