Hello

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Grants Pass Oregon
Hello, From Grants Pass Oregon we got our Baby Sulcatas Nov 22. And thanks to finding this forum already dodges some mistakes so a big thank you. I do have a question our little guy seems to sleep a lot and doesn't move around his habitat a bunch. We soak him in the morning and evening for 30 and that's when he seems way more active. He eats small amounts at a time. The warm side is 90-100 and the cool side is a constant 80 and the humidity is between 75-80 percent could it be that his habitat is just to warm it makes him sleepy? We are using CHE for heat his substrate is organic potting soil and cypress mulch. Thank you in advance for all the great knowledge you guys provide

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Peggy Sue, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
Yes, babies sleep a lot, this is quite normal.
You will find he gets more active as he gets older.

Bee62

Germany
Hello Peggy and welcome to the forum.
How are your night temps in the enclosure ? A sulcata baby should be more active and eat the whole day trough with short breaks and naps.
How old is the baby ?
Do you know how he was started ? Humid conditions or in dry conditions ?
Where do you get him from ? A pet store or a breeder ?
Is your enclosure covered ?

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Hello Peggy and welcome to the forum.
How are your night temps in the enclosure ? A sulcata baby should be more active and eat the whole day trough with short breaks and naps.
How old is the baby ?
Do you know how he was started ? Humid conditions or in dry conditions ?
Where do you get him from ? A pet store or a breeder ?
Is your enclosure covered ?
The night time temps stay a steady 80, I emailed the breeder about age he is just 2 months he does run around and eat he just winds down and sleeps about 80-90 the rest of the day he is gaining weight and is regular with poop and urineating we do soak him twice a day. Not sure if he was started dry or humid. We do have a cover on his enclosure

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome from up here in Salem, Oregon. When your little buddy is doing his/her daytime snoozing, is it going into the hide to do so, or just lying down and takin’ a snooze wherever it happens to be?

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Welcome from up here in Salem, Oregon. When your little buddy is doing his/her daytime snoozing, is it going into the hide to do so, or just lying down and takin’ a snooze wherever it happens to be?
He just naps where ever he happens to be he very seldom go into his hide

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
He just naps where ever he happens to be he very seldom go into his hide

That’s an odd one me thinks. You’ve read the posts and stickies in the specie specific section regarding sulcatas, correct? And your taking your readings for the temperature at ground level, correct?

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
That’s an odd one me thinks. You’ve read the posts and stickies in the specie specific section regarding sulcatas, correct? And your taking your readings for the temperature at ground level, correct?
We defiantly did our research before we ever bought him, we have a did goal thermometer and the heat gun to check temps anywhere in his habitat. He has everyday gotten a little more active and when we got him was 0.5 oz and now is 1.8 I think we might just have a sleepy baby

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcolm. Yes , babies sleep allot ! In their natural habitats they would soon get eaten if they roam too much. They eat , drink, poo, pee & sleep.

One thing I did when I had small ones - I put a little bit of food in front of them , but I also spread some around the habitat. In this way they get to graze looking for food. They get more activity that way

Good fortune to you