Hello from Springfield, IL!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wish I could have her outside 24/7, but I live in central IL and it's already starting to get cold outside :(
I also don't have a fenced in yard, but we spend a lot of time outside in the spring and summer and they absolutely love it.
Thanks for the info!
I live in the city of chicago, I know the cold very well, unfortunatley. A heated shed or a designated room or basement set up for them with proper heat and safety measures is better then roaming a house for the winter months. In the summer time, a small, about 4x4 insulated tort house, look them up under leopard section or in the enclosure section would work for a night time sleeping house, with a cheap chicken wire fencing or landscaping timbers, etc easy fenced in area would be the proper way to house them in the summer time and the best for them. It is harder in the snow states, but, it's what we need to do for having them and living with snow.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I always thought pyramidding was caused by diet (something else my vet told me!) Thanks for the info. I will work on starting a new enclosure. I thought this one would work for now because Tank is still pretty small so I didn't think he'd need as much room, but I don't want him to get bullied!!
High Rachel and welcome. You mentioned diet. What sort of foods are you feeding your redfoots?

Rachel Wilham

Central Illinois
High Rachel and welcome. You mentioned diet. What sort of foods are you feeding your redfoots?
I make them a salad of romaine lettuce, carrots, bell peppers, and kale that they eat regularly. I sprinkle calcium on it a couple times a week as well. Fruits every once in a while and crickets. I also have some Zoo Med brand tortoise food that is dried pellets of different kinds of grasses and fruits. I give them that about once a week.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I make them a salad of romaine lettuce, carrots, bell peppers, and kale that they eat regularly. I sprinkle calcium on it a couple times a week as well. Fruits every once in a while and crickets. I also have some Zoo Med brand tortoise food that is dried pellets of different kinds of grasses and fruits. I give them that about once a week.
Hi. This is the best food source list I've every come across for redfoots, I only discovered it a few wks back.
Try giving some scrambled egg for protein. I whisk the eggs up add back the crushed up shell and nuke it in microwave. The yolk of eggs carries some vitamin D3 too. So that's an added bonus, theres not vast amounts but its there. I also mix in other foods with the eggs to give them different cocktails.
Bye.
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/nutrition-2/good-foods-list/

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Rachel, and a very warm Welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Tank and Dozer !!!
You can learn a lot here, but also have a lot of fun!