Heat lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprice

5 Year Member
So Im getting my Tortys pen ready for my first winter with him. Im seeing how people are saying no red heat lamps. So what is the appropiate one to get? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where are you? If your tortoise will get regular sunshine, you can get a regular incandescent flood bulb from any hardware store for a basking light. If it will be indoors all winter then I prefer the Mercury Vapor Bulbs.

Then I like to use a ceramic heating element on a thermostat for the rest of the time. This will keep your ambient temp warm enough day and night.

sprice

5 Year Member
I live in Ca. He is outside during the day, just in garage during the night. Thanks again!

sprice

5 Year Member
Would I be able to get by with a those reptile heating pads they sell instead?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he isn't a baby a pig blanket is what a lot of the members use for outside torts heat. You can also use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter)

sprice

5 Year Member
Where do I get a pig blanket? This works well when the temps drop below 50? We were told he is 4.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Stanford oxbow pig blanket. It's not a blanket but more a heat mat. I got mine off eBay. It's 18"x24" I paid a total of $45.00 for it which is better than half price.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I may have missed it: what kind of tort do you have? Pig blankets work well for larger torts, but probably not so much with smaller torts like Russians.

If it is warm enough over winter for him to be outside, or have the CHOICE to be outside, then creating a pen/box/hide inside your garage is a great idea.
Do you bring him in each night, or is there a doorway that he can go from the Garage to the outside run?

sprice

5 Year Member
Ok thanks! I have a Sulcata. We built him a pen outside but can bring him in the garage on nights where it drops too cool.

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
So, what I'm reading here... and trying to zero in on...

For a sulcata -- living in a mild climate like California (which I do) I could use...

100 watt bulb during the day...

Then, at night...

Pig blanket (heat mat)
OR
Ceramic Heating Element

Plus a thermostat to be able to check temps...

How'm I doing?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The CHE can be plugged into the thermostat. Set the temp and the enclosure won't go below the temp you have it set at. Sounds to me like your right on.:)

Jim in Merced CA

5 Year Member
Hey Wellington:

So, if the sulcata can bask in the actual sun during the day, the CHE can be used in his enclosed shed/pen ..with no pig blanket and no 100 watt bulb? Just the CHE?

Thanks for helping us newbies...

Jim

wellington said:
The CHE can be plugged into the thermostat. Set the temp and the enclosure won't go below the temp you have it set at. Sounds to me like your right on.:)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Your heat source really depends on how big the shed is and how well it is insulated. I believe the current thinking is that a tortoise does better with over head heat source than one from underneath. As far as a nigh box for your tortoise goes, check out this thread. There are some others in the enclosure section that are easy to build as well.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-20527.html?highlight=mother+of+all#axzz29679OCqL

Status
Not open for further replies.