Heat Lamp in Hawaii

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Leandro, California
Okay so I live on the big island of hawaii, Hilo side. it rains alot but it still gets hot and the airs always Humid here (obviously lol) im not saying we dont ever get any sun but it does rain alot, anyway im getting a baby russian tortoise and i was wondering since i live in a tropical area do i even need a heat lamp? i will get it a UVB light just in case the little guy wont be getting any sun out side. but temperature wise does he need a heat lamp living here in Hawaii. thanks for the help!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
What type of tortoise? Pretty much all of them need a heat or basking light. What are your indoor temps in your home in Hawaii?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He will need a basking spot that gets near 100 in his indoor enclosure. Yours is probably not the best environment for a russian. It will be interesting to see how well he adapts over the long term. The over all warm ambient will not allow him to get warm enough inside your house to digest his food and what not. Outdoors the sun will be able to warm him up. They are not a species that does well with lots of rain, wetness and the cool clammy conditions that go with that sort of environment.

What made you choose that species, over say a redfoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.