bulbs....

TSchadel

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I currently have a heat bulb and a UV bulb in my tort table. I'm not sure of the watts. I'm going to replace them and was thinking about getting a dual heat/uv lamp for both my lamps. My question is what watt should I get? I see 100 and 110 for the dual heat/uv bulb and was hoping someone could provide me with some direction. Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of UV are you using and what type do you want to use? The coiled types can burn their eyes and should not be used.

I don't like dual fixtures because lights and heating elements need to be raised or lowered and sometimes in different places, to fine tune your enclosure parameters.

TSchadel

Kansas
I'm not really sure what I have now as I got them with the tort. Ok just checked - The UV is 2 coils with a ceramic base 10.0 UVB by Zoo Med and the heat lamp is blue colored and says "day blue 50W 120V" by Zilly
I thought by getting dual in both lamps it would give more of a basking area. My temp in my table by the lights stays around 90-95 I do not have a temp gauge at the other end of the table yet. I have one ordered. Since covering with plastic the humidity has gone up to 75-80. I have 2hiding huts one on each end and Irwin uses both. I put moss in the bigger hut and soak it daily.
Also - do I need night bulbs?
Thank you again for all your valuable advice. I see a change in Irwin already!

TSchadel

Kansas
What do you recommend? I need to get rid of the coil ASAP!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is the enclosure? Most can get the temps they need with one mvb (Mercury vapor bulb) and one ceramic heat emitter. 100 watts on both are usually big enough. I would to use the double domes. I watched two torts and they had the double domes and I was adjusting it all the time. Seperate fixtures are a lot easier to work with. No light is needed at night but the temps should not go below 80 with high humidity.

TSchadel

Kansas
How big is the enclosure? Most can get the temps they need with one mvb (Mercury vapor bulb) and one ceramic heat emitter. 100 watts on both are usually big enough. I would to use the double domes. I watched two torts and they had the double domes and I was adjusting it all the time. Seperate fixtures are a lot easier to work with. No light is needed at night but the temps should not go below 80 with high humidity.
My table is 3x5 with plastic enclosure
I don't think it stays that warm at night 75 but humidity stays around 70.
I don't have a problem if I have to get a night heat bulb - just need to know what I should get.
Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The ceramic heat emitter can work for night if needed. It gives off heat, but no light, so it stays dark for night time. If you need it during the day along with the mvb, you can use the two together.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, if you can get him outside for a 1/2 hour to an hour or so a day or 3-4 times a week, you don't need a uvb for summer months. Just be sure there is lots of shade available and water.

TSchadel

Kansas
He goes outside almost every day for at least 45 mins.
The heat emitter does not give off light?
Is there a place I can order on line? I live in a small town without a pet store. Amazon is a regular delivery at my house! Lol
I have a 5x6 box w/o a bottom that I put down in the grass with a tray of water and part in the shade that Irwin goes in to enjoy outdoors. He doesn't usually mess with the water cause he's busy walking the prameter and munching on grass

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
The heat emitter produced no light just heat. Perfect for night time.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Amazon sells heat emitters. Need to keep temps up above 80 at all times when using high humidity technique. Respiratory infections are a real concern when they get cold with high humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not really sure what I have now as I got them with the tort. Ok just checked - The UV is 2 coils with a ceramic base 10.0 UVB by Zoo Med and the heat lamp is blue colored and says "day blue 50W 120V" by Zilly
I thought by getting dual in both lamps it would give more of a basking area. My temp in my table by the lights stays around 90-95 I do not have a temp gauge at the other end of the table yet. I have one ordered. Since covering with plastic the humidity has gone up to 75-80. I have 2hiding huts one on each end and Irwin uses both. I put moss in the bigger hut and soak it daily.
Also - do I need night bulbs?
Thank you again for all your valuable advice. I see a change in Irwin already!

Just turn the coil bulbs off. You don't need to wait for a replacement.

You should also be using a white bulb for daytime, not blue. 50 watts sounds too small, but your thermometer will answer that.

Yes you need night heat. Best to use a CHE on a thermostat.

All of this and more is explained here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
Please read this thread and apply what is there.

These will help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/