Heartbroken and need to vent to ppl who understand

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings again. Maybe upload some pictures of your back garden/tortoise yard area. Maybe we can come up with some ideas. Concrete “retaining” walls - call them flower beds - might be an option. These can be purchased pretty cheaply, moved by hand and into place.

There has to be an “appeal” process. Cant believe they can demand such harsh removal w/o offering an appeal.

good luck

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
@TortloverPM I sent you a link in the PM, but I'll include it here too. Your local help society may have some suggestions on how to deal with the local government.

If someone can figure out what really set them off, it may help may help with figuring out what to do or say to get them to stand down.

What does the flood zone look like where you live?

By any chance, did you consult an electrician to run power to the night box? If that kind of thing would help, a licensed electrician is probably less expensive than the fines. You may be able to use it as a bargaining chip in negotiating with local government.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never heard of such non-sense. I know of no place in the country that has codes for a tortoise enclosure. That is none of their business. And why would you need concrete? That will damage the feet and plastron and injure your tortoise!

I'd be all over this A-hole. Who is this person, who is their boss, what the hell are they talking about? Fight this. This is total BS. I thought CA was the worst place in the country for stuff like this. Never heard of it in FL. People move to FL to get away from tyranny like this. Ask to see the statutes that are allegedly being violated. I call BS. No way is this legit. You are being harassed and hassled for some reason.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
How about buying yourself some time with an appeal? You can claim his enclosure is no different than a doghouse which is probably an unregulated structure that doesn't require a foundation or permit.

I'm assuming that defending yourself would be free, put everything on hold so you don't accumulate more fines, and that it would give you a chance (if you don't win) to run out the clock enough to fix the problem or get him re-homed. This close to Christmas/New Years + COVID might really delay hearings for long time.

I'm sure the folks here will give you all sorts of help with good sources for proper care info you can use and the county bylaws are almost certainly online.
Totally like this...fight it!!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I've never heard of such non-sense. I know of no place in the country that has codes for a tortoise enclosure. That is none of their business. And why would you need concrete? That will damage the feet and plastron and injure your tortoise!

I'd be all over this A-hole. Who is this person, who is their boss, what the hell are they talking about? Fight this. This is total BS. I thought CA was the worst place in the country for stuff like this. Never heard of it in FL. People move to FL to get away from tyranny like this. Ask to see the statutes that are allegedly being violated. I call BS. No way is this legit. You are being harassed and hassled for some reason.
100% AGREE.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A lil background new home owner and sulcata owner. I thought I did everything right I joined this site, did as much research as i cud to give our adopted tortoise a better home than he came from the best we cud. Abt a year later now all is well hes happy and healthy and we love him more everyday. Until Friday when our County code enforcement shows up and let's us know we have until Monday to take down his enclosure. Which no enclosure no tortoise. #1 Hes a member of our family #2 Rehoming a 80lb sulcata cannot b done in 2 days. Rehoming any pet for that matter. With Covid I has lost my job for a while etc so it is not financially possible to fence our property for him, or pay the almost $1000 in fines he listed to us. Nor he can he live on a concrete slab they told us we needed for him. Sorry this is so long I just needed to get it off my chest. I thought I did my homework. This stuff is why we steered clear of HOAs and all that I had no idea. So even if this can help someone else not make the mistakes I did I'll be happy to have some good come of this. Right now I dont know what to do. Thankyou for listening/reading. OP
Terrible, If you decide to fight this and need help with legal fees/new construction maybe consider a go fund me. If you do post the link here. Good luck!

Aloysius Taschse

Mainly Texas
This is awful - some people are just angry and messed-up inside. I would go full on finding everything I could do to stop it from happening - things like getting by law codes because they only specify a certain thing. Anyways, I hope you can work this out in another more peaceful and less time-consuming way than my idea. Hopefully your tort and you can stay together and also hopefully the HOA (quite a stupid organization sometimes, I heard this story about somebody who painted their house a color that wasn't on their list and literally got a notice that if they didn't repaint it they would be kicked out of the house) finally realizes that there is no harm with a peaceful tort hanging out in a yard and that they don't need to make EVERY single thing so big. Seriously, it's a tortoise - or a house color!

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida

I agree completely. Why tho I have no idea we're quiet, never been in trouble, our neighbors like us (as far as I know) and they all were amazed with him they thought hes neat. And I spent a good amount of money finishing the outside of the walls with 2x12s etc just to make sure it wasnt an eyesore. And it's not the tort that's the problem nor the fact that it's a tort enclosure it's a 4 walled structure that we did without any permits (didnt know I needed anything like that) but apparently we needed permits, it has to b compliant with hurricane codes and something abt a 4 walled structure needing concrete slab foundation? We avoided HOAs like the plague cuz we mind our business and we didnt want as anyone telling us what to do with our house, lawn/yard etc.. I just got off work so I'm gna look into the codes and how to appeal, price of fence etc. I'm glad u guys all think this is as crazy and ridiculous as I do. He acted like this was all common knowledge. Oh and when I googled it a lil bit on my break. I read this. Let me find out how to post this screenshot. Read definition of animal. This is the kind of ppl we r dealing with. That sentence further ruined my faith in humanity

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201207-083247_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201207-083247_Chrome.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 39

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
This is awful - some people are just angry and messed-up inside. I would go full on finding everything I could do to stop it from happening - things like getting by law codes because they only specify a certain thing. Anyways, I hope you can work this out in another more peaceful and less time-consuming way than my idea. Hopefully your tort and you can stay together and also hopefully the HOA (quite a stupid organization sometimes, I heard this story about somebody who painted their house a color that wasn't on their list and literally got a notice that if they didn't repaint it they would be kicked out of the house) finally realizes that there is no harm with a peaceful tort hanging out in a yard and that they don't need to make EVERY single thing so big. Seriously, it's a tortoise - or a house color!
Thankyou no HOA tho County Code Enforcement. We steered clear of HOAs to avoid this stuff but here we r. Ugh.

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
Also, how much would a fence cost?

Worst case, how much would a fence cost to shut them up?
Thankyou I just got off work so I'm heading back to google to look into all this. If I had the money I'd apply for the permit and put up a fence absolutely I have to look further into the cost cuz with Covid I was out of work for a while and yeah just dont have it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I agree completely. Why tho I have no idea we're quiet, never been in trouble, our neighbors like us (as far as I know) and they all were amazed with him they thought hes neat. And I spent a good amount of money finishing the outside of the walls with 2x12s etc just to make sure it wasnt an eyesore. And it's not the tort that's the problem nor the fact that it's a tort enclosure it's a 4 walled structure that we did without any permits (didnt know I needed anything like that) but apparently we needed permits, it has to b compliant with hurricane codes and something abt a 4 walled structure needing concrete slab foundation? We avoided HOAs like the plague cuz we mind our business and we didnt want as anyone telling us what to do with our house, lawn/yard etc.. I just got off work so I'm gna look into the codes and how to appeal, price of fence etc. I'm glad u guys all think this is as crazy and ridiculous as I do. He acted like this was all common knowledge. Oh and when I googled it a lil bit on my break. I read this. Let me find out how to post this screenshot. Read definition of animal. This is the kind of ppl we r dealing with. That sentence further ruined my faith in humanity

Wonder how they deal with a basic “dog house”..... You should call some local TV station with a consumer advocate type department. Go on TV lambasting goofy county regs for an animal’s house...

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
Greetings again. Maybe upload some pictures of your back garden/tortoise yard area. Maybe we can come up with some ideas. Concrete “retaining” walls - call them flower beds - might be an option. These can be purchased pretty cheaply, moved by hand and into place.

There has to be an “appeal” process. Cant believe they can demand such harsh removal w/o offering an appeal.

good luck
I will put retaining walls on my "to google "list. I texted my best friend/roommate hasn't gotten back to me yet he was gna take enclosure down and move him to garage just so it looks like were complying until we can figure this out. Once I get home I will see what's going on and if I can find pics of it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I will put retaining walls on my "to google "list. I texted my best friend/roommate hasn't gotten back to me yet he was gna take enclosure down and move him to garage just so it looks like were complying until we can figure this out. Once I get home I will see what's going on and if I can find pics of it.

good luck

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
@TortloverPM I sent you a link in the PM, but I'll include it here too. Your local help society may have some suggestions on how to deal with the local government.

If someone can figure out what really set them off, it may help may help with figuring out what to do or say to get them to stand down.

What does the flood zone look like where you live?

By any chance, did you consult an electrician to run power to the night box? If that kind of thing would help, a licensed electrician is probably less expensive than the fines. You may be able to use it as a bargaining chip in negotiating with local government.
Thankyou I will def check into that as well. No electricity in his house/nightbox. Doesnt get that cold here we were just planning to bring him into the garage for the cold nights or use our electric to run his. I had just spent the money building his enclosure and house and Covid hit and my job shut down and things are ok but not how they were when I cud spend $ like that.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member

This type....easy to relocate/build with - just need it high enough -https://www.lowes.com/pd/Grey-Retaining-Wall-Block-Common-4-in-x-12-in-Actual-4-in-x-11-5-in/50289717