I need a safe place to rant and I know you will understand

hshar1

Wow, you totally read my reply with the wrong set of eyes. Nonetheless, I can tell you are a person that will do what they will. Lots of wishes of fun with that gorgeous tortoise.
Angela , sorry if I misunderstood was feeling somewhat sensitive about her last weekend, as for fun, she certainly is! she already has my husband trained, she follows him around the kitchen whilst he is preparing our lunch box salads for the following day and head butts his foot until he hands something over!! 6 days and she has him trained!

hshar1

Again, I know you mean well, but loose in your kitchen is a very dangerous place for a tortoise. Many tortoises are injured or killed this way. I'd rather see the tortoise temporarily cramped in the small viv, than loose in the kitchen.

Have you read this thread yet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Tom there is nothing she can hurt herself in, nowhere for her to get behind or into.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
We just don't like to see them free roam, seen to many hurt in places people claimed were safe, just take the advice, and then make up your own mind.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom there is nothing she can hurt herself in, nowhere for her to get behind or into.

That is what everyone thought whose tortoise gets injured or killed from being loose in the house. There are many hazards that can hurt them loose in a house. I work with a lot of vets. They know of my predilection toward all things tortoise, so they frequently share cases with me. Here are just some of the things that I regularly see: Tortoise ingest all sorts of things, buttons, hair, safety pins, gum, bits of plastic, etc. Tortoises get kicked or stepped on. Tortoises get hit by doors. Tortoises get lost. Its also too cold down there on the floor. The list could just go on and on. Bottom line is that tortoises belong in a safe dedicated tortoise enclosure. Out loose on the floor is an accident waiting to happen. I'm hoping that you, and anyone else reading this, will heed this warning instead of having to learn the hard way at the tortoises expense.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks pretty good, but prob blocks all beneficial UVB.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The conservatory is usually used during the cold winter times....so allows the tort to remain up and active and relatively temp controlled....and if the tort is housed the rest of the year in the garden with access to the conserve...then the lack of uv rays at full strength likely will be aok for the winter cold time.....also, sometimes folks will set up a place, within the conserve, that has a heating sources and uv ray station....:D