Heartbroken...

MAV3RICK

Location (City and/or State)
House Springs, MO
Sadly, our 8mo old Sulcata, Frank, escaped or was taken from his outdoor enclosure today. We got him for Christmas from Arizona Tortoise Compound, and he’s been a member of our family ever since...

An hour after I had checked on him to make sure he still had water, I went back out to bring him inside and he was gone. The enclosure was netting all the way around and I’m not sure how he could have gotten out.

I eventually gave up searching after 3hrs and covering every around our house and 3 houses down either way.

I knocked on our neighbor’s door since there were landscapers there earlier to see if they could contact them. Not making accusations but I told them how much care Frank needs and my son just want his friend back.

Obviously I feel extremely guilty. I’m itching to go back out to look tonight and tomorrow morning. Maybe hang some flyers up after work...

Has this ever happened to anyone?
What did you do? [emoji17]
IMG_4994.jpg
IMG_4242.jpg

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh wow a little guy. lol first thing in the morning when the sun is out. He will want too come out and warm up under the sun. Also check the enclosure again feeling everything. They can dig into the ground even just under the grass and be hidden out of sight. If you think it's almost impossible for him to have gotten out, I'd almost bet he is still in there hiding deep down in the grass.
Good luck so very sorry and don't stop looking and also do the flyers and contact local vets and pet stores. Offer the neighborhood kids gen bucks if they find him. But, look and FEEL around in the enclosure first and check when the sun comes out.

MAV3RICK

House Springs, MO
Oh wow a little guy. lol first thing in the morning when the sun is out. He will want too come out and warm up under the sun. Also check the enclosure again feeling everything. They can dig into the ground even just under the grass and be hidden out of sight. If you think it's almost impossible for him to have gotten out, I'd almost bet he is still in there hiding deep down in the grass.
Good luck so very sorry and don't stop looking and also do the flyers and contact local vets and pet stores. Offer the neighborhood kids gen bucks if they find him. But, look and FEEL around in the enclosure first and check when the sun comes out.

Thank you.

It’s not a permanent enclosure- just something I set up when the weather is nice enough to take him outside for a few hours.

I felt all around where he was and even crawled under my back deck with a flashlight. Even then, in an hour, he couldn’t have gone that far unless someone or something picked him up.

I will look tomorrow but I’m not very optimistic that I’ll find him. Best hope is that he got out and those guys took him, not knowing he was a pet

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
We lost a Herman's tortoise a couple of years ago and he was found just wandering down our road!

NewTortEnthusiast

Bloomington, CA
When I was around 9 years old, I used to have a RT. He was about a year old. Had a really good shell, was healthy, ate everything I gave him. I was so excited. I built him probably a 4ft by 4ft box thing as soon as I got him. 2 weeks go by and my father and I were planning on building him a real super duper awesome enclosure for him.

I'll never forget. I was watching him walk around in my front yard. I was laying down next to him and he would come up to me every once in a while. I truly think he liked me. Then a few minutes go by and he's probably 10 ft away from me and just laying there basking, I was still laying there watching him. Then out of nowhere my neighbors german shepherd jumps my front gate and killed him right in front of me; he was so fast. I saw Bob's lifeless back half of his body fall to the floor. I cried.

To this day, I still hate my neighbor.

Pretty dark story, but I too lost my tortoise and was scared for my life. I cried for weeks.

I hope you find your tortoise and your son gets his friend back.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

When my little youngster once dissapeared into the thin air, right under my nose (!!!) this advice that @wellington gives you here is what had kept me going with the search for the 4 wks that he was gone. In FEBRUARY!!! In Texas, but it still gets cold.
So follow the tips and do not give up the search! Wishing you best of luck in finding your tort[emoji217]

MAV3RICK

House Springs, MO
When I was around 9 years old, I used to have a RT. He was about a year old. Had a really good shell, was healthy, ate everything I gave him. I was so excited. I built him probably a 4ft by 4ft box thing as soon as I got him. 2 weeks go by and my father and I were planning on building him a real super duper awesome enclosure for him.

I'll never forget. I was watching him walk around in my front yard. I was laying down next to him and he would come up to me every once in a while. I truly think he liked me. Then a few minutes go by and he's probably 10 ft away from me and just laying there basking, I was still laying there watching him. Then out of nowhere my neighbors german shepherd jumps my front gate and killed him right in front of me; he was so fast. I saw Bob's lifeless back half of his body fall to the floor. I cried.

To this day, I still hate my neighbor.

Pretty dark story, but I too lost my tortoise and was scared for my life. I cried for weeks.

I hope you find your tortoise and your son gets his friend back.

That’s an awful thing to have to witness- I’m so sorry!

I felt like Frank and I had a connection as well. I’d lay him on my chest and pet his head with my finger until he fell asleep.

When we took him to the vet shortly after we got him, she said he was one of the sweetest and more friendly Sulcatas she had ever seen...

Haven’t given up yet!

MAV3RICK

House Springs, MO
I just wanted to thank everyone for your words of encouragement and tips.

I looked again this morning and when I got home from work. Tomorrow I’ll hang flyers up in our subdivision and make a post on Facebook along with a $100 reward for his safe return...

I’ll let you guys know if anything changes [emoji1374][emoji217]

KimRenteria

Goldendale, Wa
We lost our Franklin once too. My roommates daughter put him out in the front yard without his enclosure. We looked everywhere for days. We eventually gave up and he just showed up about 3 weeks later. Now anytime he is outside, we tie a helium balloon to him so he is easily visible :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get down on your hands and knees in his enclosure and run your fingers through the grass and down into the dirt all over the whole floor. I'll bet he's in there, just dug down or under a clump of something.

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Get down on your hands and knees in his enclosure and run your fingers through the grass and down into the dirt all over the whole floor. I'll bet he's in there, just dug down or under a clump of something.
Hi, I couldn't find out Herman's tortoise in his run today, looked everywhere. I had to go out so texted my husband and asked him to look when he got home, couldn't find him. When I got home I looked again and there he was dug down hiding from the heat! They are really well camouflaged [emoji4] Hope you find your baby soon.[emoji256]