Hawks and tortoises

dar64

5 Year Member
I know this has been discussed over the years. We have moved to a new place. At the last place I saw a hawk land on the fence and just stare at one of my torts. I have three Leopard tortoises. One is about 11 inches, one about 7 inches and one about 6 inches. The hawk never came back after that one time. He was looking at the tort walking and had a look like what is this light colored thing moving. He left. Never saw him again.
Now at the new place same thing happened. I ran out and scared him away. I have heard a variety of stories and information. Some say they will go after the tortoises and some say they usually never bother them.
I even called game and fish and was told they do not bother them at that size.
I'm confused. How worried should I be? I didn't cover this enclosure yet. Do I need to cover with chicken wire. It won't be easy. The area is 12 feet by 12 feet.

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Personally I wouldn't take any chances and find a way to cover it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, what type of Hawk? The larger 11 inch one will likely never have an issue with a hawk...but dependent on the species of hawk there may be a need to offer some additional hiding places for the smaller tort(s)....

dar64

5 Year Member
Well to play it safe I covered the area. I think it may have been a Harris Hawk. I didn't see others around though. Usually they are in packs I think. I had four get a pet chicken. It was awful. They do have hiding areas but they are protected now.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
One option is to create a frame on either side of your enclosure, even with 2x2"s. Then add some cup or eye hooks along each side, and run fishing line across securely, back and forth.
The hawks vision is 10x ours (as is other birds' vision), so it is very obvious to them.
This has worked well for me across an open area (hawks need to be able to coast in and out with their prey).
The songbirds just fly above or below the fishing line. A hummingbird sat on it, lol.

dar64

5 Year Member
One option is to create a frame on either side of your enclosure, even with 2x2"s. Then add some cup or eye hooks along each side, and run fishing line across securely, back and forth.
The hawks vision is 10x ours (as is other birds' vision), so it is very obvious to them.
This has worked well for me across an open area (hawks need to be able to coast in and out with their prey).
The songbirds just fly above or below the fishing line. A hummingbird sat on it, lol.
This is a GREAT idea. If I didn't already do something I would do this !

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello
You didn't say where your from but I'm from AZ and maybe you don't have to worry about your birds but in AZ we have black birds with long black tails and they are mean they raid nests of other birds they eat eggs , baby torts , turtles , and Evan lizards .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Okay, I looked up 'harris hawk', and they're pretty big birds! I would not be concerned for your 11'' tort, but the smaller two might have a risk of being taken! Good call on the netting, and lynnedit's idea is really good, as well... hopefully that hawk won't be bothering you again! :confused:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Some farmers do that with berries here! But smaller, of course, because I don't think the hawks are eating the berries :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I've thought of the hawks around here snatching my russian... but they are only about a 1'+, so a simple crisscross of branches will keep them out. Luckily, I haven't seen any bald eagles stalking around here... just 'stopping by' :confused:

dar64

5 Year Member
I meant to say I am in Arizona. I didn't even think of owls. We have an owl in the area also. I feel better that I covered it. If they try to land on it , it is not very strong. Just enough to keep them off I hope

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have hawks around our house too but they are after my parakeets and Love birds. No torts are in dangers.