Hawks and tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar64

5 Year Member
I have had my new Leopard tortoise for around a week now. I have a Sulcata that is heavier but around the same size. They live in separate enclosures. When I was looking out the window today I saw my Leo start walking around and a hawk landed on the fence around his enclosure . I ran out and scared it away. The leo is much lighter in color. I was wondering if the hawk just saw the movement and was checking on what it is or if it would actually have try to kill a tortoise. The Leo is around 10 inches and weighs 3 Lbs. Have any of you had hawks take a tortoise this size or try to get one ?? I'm so worried now.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Yes, hawks will actually scoop up your baby Leo. Is not something he was curious about. It knows it's food. Please protect your tort with something strong enough to keep large birds from picking your baby. Btw, eagles, ravens, hawks are some of the large birds that you need to watch for. You can check the net for hawks as predators and you'll be surprised what they can pick up.

dar64

5 Year Member
Its not a baby. Its around 10 Inches but I think it should be heavier than 3lbs. It wasn't fed properly. It is beautiful but has pyramiding. I heard it was fed lots of red fruits and veggies.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Yah I hate to say this but we had a hawk come get our tortoise picked him, flew high them dropped him. Nd then a cat came. It was horrific!!! But it was about the same size as urs

please and thank you

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also place alot of obstacles in the enclosure so that the raptor does not have a clear space for the swoop in and out....make it difficult for flight in and near the torts...

If the enclosure/yard is too large to cover with a top then you can string some wire like a transect pattern and tie some ribbons to the wire in a variety of patterns (just not long enough to drape into the enclosure)...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
SORRY, I call all torts "baby." I knew your tort is 10" and weighs about 3 pounds. You stated that in your post. Nevertheless, a hawk is capable of picking up a 3 pounder.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
You need a cover for your enclosure. Those pesky hawks see your tort as dinner!
I have buzzards, hawks and raccoons so keeping my little ones safe is top priority.:exclamation:

Sent from my HTC One V using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think a 10" tortoise is at risk from a hawk. We have several species around here and they are always watching and looking for a meal. They will definitely try for 3 inchers, but a 10 incher is just too big. Still, no harm in building a cover, but my juvenile sulcata and leopard enclosure are just too big to cover. If the hawk came down to "get" your tortoise, the tortoise would close up in its shell and the hawk would quickly realize it couldn't get a grip on that hard shell and leave. In 20 years of keeping tortoise outside in a rural setting rife with wildlife, I've never had a hawk take a tortoise, and we have lots of them around.

Status
Not open for further replies.