Hates soaking

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Dude. What do you mean put up with it? What choice does he have. Stick him in the water, keep the water warm one way or another and walk away. Its not hurting him.

Some tortoises act like you are dropping them in acid. I've had many start out that way. All of them get used to it, and it hurts none of them.

Its good for them. It does not harm. It really doesn't matter if they don't like it. They all get used to it.

My daughter doesn't want to go to bed when I tell her too either. Sometimes she cries and acts like she's being abused. I still make her go to bed on time every single night.
Lol... I do make him Tom. For the month and a half that I have had him back with me, I have every day. I had asked the question whether or not him splashing around like that and getting water up his nose would cause him any harm. When I take him out I can hear the water in his nose when he breathes. I guess I was just being paranoid. I was getting a little nervous at the water in his nose would effect his health. So I was just asking if it would. So I will continue with his daily soaks, take your advice and instead of pulling him out after 10 or 15 minutes I will make him go the full 30 minutes

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Lol... I do make him Tom. For the month and a half that I have had him back with me, I have every day. I had asked the question whether or not him splashing around like that and getting water up his nose would cause him any harm. When I take him out I can hear the water in his nose when he breathes. I guess I was just being paranoid. I was getting a little nervous at the water in his nose would effect his health. So I was just asking if it would. So I will continue with his daily soaks, take your advice and instead of pulling him out after 10 or 15 minutes I will make him go the full 30 minutes

Tortoises deep their heads straight into the water to drink it. It looks like they are trying to drown themselves lol

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Tortoises deep their heads straight into the water to drink it. It looks like they are trying to drown themselves lol
I got to see him do that one time so far. It was pretty cool. I fully agree with Tom, I really need to make him stay in there for the full amount of time. And try not to panic when he acts like he doesn't like it. Thank you guys for all your great advice.

Bee62

Germany
In the morning they "soak" themselves in their terracotta plant saucer ( two of three ):DDSCN2137.JPG

in the afternoon I soak them ( three of three ) :D
They are going to be water turtles .....:D

DSCN2023.JPG

Jay Bagley

Michigan
In the morning they "soak" themselves in their terracotta plant saucer ( two of three ):DView attachment 224272

in the afternoon I soak them ( three of three ) :D
They are going to be water turtles .....:D

View attachment 224274
That is great Bee!! I can only hope in time mine will self soak in the near future. I have one of those large clay plant saucers in with mine as well, but so far he seems to steer clear of it. Can only hope in time he begins to use it. Very cute tortoises by the way.

Bee62

Germany
That is great Bee!! I can only hope in time mine will self soak in the near future. I have one of those large clay plant saucers in with mine as well, but so far he seems to steer clear of it. Can only hope in time he begins to use it. Very cute tortoises by the way.
Thank you ! They are cute ( yet ) but they grow like ..... help .... The biggest one weights 1500 Gramm ( yesterday ) at the age of 16 months !
Put your tortoise as often as you can in his water dish hoping some day he` ll like it. But the water should be always warm. Torts hate it to be plunged in cold water.:D

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Thank you ! They are cute ( yet ) but they grow like ..... help .... The biggest one weights 1500 Gramm ( yesterday ) at the age of 16 months !
Put your tortoise as often as you can in his water dish hoping some day he` ll like it. But the water should be always warm. Torts hate it to be plunged in cold water.:D
I can only imagine. myself being warm blooded I hate being put in cold water, I can only imagine what a tortoise must think of Coldwater.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I can only imagine. myself being warm blooded I hate being put in cold water, I can only imagine what a tortoise must think of Coldwater.

20 minutes and Counting LOL. Took everyone's advice and did a morning soak today. Will be giving him two soaks today, as Sunday I like to feed him a little wet Muzuri, and he wears as much as he eats. Thanks for all the help guys!!20171203_092533.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Looking good.... When you see your Sully all stretched out, take the temperature and see what it is. Once i found this sweet spot for our Sully, i just kept it there....

• You're finally training him vice sully training you!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Looking good.... When you see your Sully all stretched out, take the temperature and see what it is. Once i found this sweet spot for our Sully, i just kept it there....

• You're finally training him vice sully training you!
Lol, its about time. I used my temp gun, and it said 98, the heat lamp seemed to help to keep it from cooling so fast.

Bee62

Germany
20 minutes and Counting LOL. Took everyone's advice and did a morning soak today. Will be giving him two soaks today, as Sunday I like to feed him a little wet Muzuri, and he wears as much as he eats. Thanks for all the help guys!!View attachment 224276
Hey, that looks very relaxed to me. Your sully ist still young and learning. He is a little "child"... LOL ! and a cute "child" too.:) I love the yellow and the dark pattern.:tort::<3:
Do you know how much he weights ?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Why thankyou[emoji3]. I get a little self-conscious answering this question, only because he is very small for his size. But he's only been in my care for close to two months now. My daughter and I weighed him on December 1st and I know you guys go by grams, I did it by pounds so I hope that is okay. He weighed 1 pound 12 oz. And he will actually be close to 3 years old by the end of this month. So I assume he is on the very small side. You probably saw and some of my other post about the care that he received for the first two and a half close to 3 years of his life, b4 he came to me. And I think this contributed to his small size.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Why thankyou[emoji3]. I get a little self-conscious answering this question, only because he is very small for his size. But he's only been in my care for close to two months now. My daughter and I weighed him on December 1st and I know you guys go by grams, I did it by pounds so I hope that is okay. He weighed 1 pound 12 oz. And he will actually be close to 3 years old by the end of this month. So I assume he is on the very small side. You probably saw and some of my other post about the care that he received for the first two and a half close to 3 years of his life, b4 he came to me. And I think this contributed to his small size.
I don't know if you can see it or not in the picture, but it shows up very lightly. He has a small blue dot on his top of his shell. We we got him a month before I got divorced, and when we picked him out from the breeder online we had asked for a male. They must have put blue nail polish on the males, I'm guessing they went by temperature with the incubation. It hasn't come off yet, since I've had him back I brush him very lightly with a toothbrush and it seems to have lightened up a little.

Bee62

Germany
You don`t have to be self-conscious. You are doing the best for him. Some torts that have a rough start beginn to grow after a little while when they are kept in good conditions. Your tort can be such a late-starter too. He looks healthy to me, so there is no worry about his weight.
And the blue spot will be washed away until ge is 150 lbs ......;):)

Jay Bagley

Michigan
You don`t have to be self-conscious. You are doing the best for him. Some torts that have a rough start beginn to grow after a little while when they are kept in good conditions. Your tort can be such a late-starter too. He looks healthy to me, so there is no worry about his weight.
And the blue spot will be washed away until ge is 150 lbs ......;):)
Lol, either washed away or extremely stretched out haha. Thank you for your compliments about our tortoise and yours really look great too and I'm not just saying that.

Bee62

Germany
Lol, either washed away or extremely stretched out haha. Thank you for your compliments about our tortoise and yours really look great too and I'm not just saying that.
Every tort-mummy or tort-daddy loves to hear or read praise about her or his "tort-babies", isn`t it so ?:D
... and loves to show pics of them .... So do I. Excuse me for that fault ....:D
DSCN2079.JPG

But by the way, my two little Hermann`s tortoises like soaking themselves too:
DSCN2140.JPG

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Every tort-mummy or tort-daddy loves to hear or read praise about her or his "tort-babies", isn`t it so ?:D
... and loves to show pics of them .... So do I. Excuse me for that fault ....:D
View attachment 224295

But by the way, my two little Hermann`s tortoises like soaking themselves too:
View attachment 224298
Very lovely, they all look to be in wonderful condition.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Thank you very much. I do my very best .:) Tortoises are fascinating. :)
You are very welcome. Even though this is my first one, I would definitely agree with you they are most fascinating. I can't wait until summer so I can get this little guy back outside to chowdown.