Hates soaking

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
So after looking at some of the Care sheets, and numerous post I have been been soaking our tortoise since I got him. And I totally understand the benefits that soaking provides to overall health. That being said, shelldon does not share the same opinion as I do. I have been using a kitty litter pan that is that is Tan in color and he cannot see out of. I have been using warm water but not too warm, and fill it just where his plastin meets is carapace. I want to be able to do the 20 to 30 minute soaks that people recommend, but unfortunately we seldom break the 15-minute mark. He just goes nuts, he will sit still for maybe a minute or two. Then he goes all over and tries to climb up the sides, I'm afraid I am stressing him out. Other than not giving him the 20 to 30 minutes that I would like, my biggest concern is when he tries climbing the sides and he slips back down and the mini wave he creates splashes on his face. And when I take him out, sometimes it sounds like he is getting water in his nose. Is there anything I can do to make this more enjoyable, and less stressful for him? I had to read a few times about doing it in the morning, he seems to dislike it no matter what. And also no matter how shallow the water is, he continues to seem to get it up his nose and wanted to know if this is going to cause any possible health effects on him, and what should I change?

Carl_Deschain

UK
I know that, although you haven't stated the breed, tortoises can drink through their nose and mouth simultaneously, so you can rest assured that part isn't a problem [emoji4][emoji6]

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I know that, although you haven't stated the breed, tortoises can drink through their nose and mouth simultaneously, so you can rest assured that part isn't a problem [emoji4][emoji6]
That is great news!! The breed of our tortoise is a Sulcata.

Bee62

Germany
You describe what my tortoises have done when they where very young. I thought too that they hate their bath. Meanwhile they are bigger and are used to the soakings and they are more calm. Go on with your soaks they are really important for the health of your tort ( how old is he ? ). He will soon learn that the water do no harm to him. And when you soak only 10 - 15 minutes a day it is better than no soaking.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
You describe what my tortoises have done when they where very young. I thought too that they hate their bath. Meanwhile they are bigger and are used to the soakings and they are more calm. Go on with your soaks they are really important for the health of your tort ( how old is he ? ). He will soon learn that the water do no harm to him. And when you soak only 10 - 15 minutes a day it is better than no soaking.
Glad to know that it is normal, he( assuming it is a he) is close to 3 yrs of age. I dont think he was soaked much before I got him a month-and-a-half ago or so. I am only assuming that because in his first soak he passed an incredible amount of urates that look like little white bb's.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Jay. Im sure others will provide some tips, but you might want to make sure:

1. The water temps are warm enough. You might try increasing a bit more then you have.
2. Make sure your water is deep enough.​

I too had similar issues with our young Sully. I bumped up the temps....and made it deeper. Sully floated...and was happy. For the first week or so while he got adjusted, id cradle our sully in my cupped hand. Sully quickly learned this was a fun, daily thing.

I see your sully is not a hatchling... So, he's not grown up with having soaks. Keep trying like Bee says. Any and all soaking is a good thing. Try making it warmer and deeper.

Last edited:

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Jay. Im sure others will provide some tips, but you might want to make sure:

1. The water temps are warm enough. You might try increasing a bit more then you have.
2. Make sure your water is deep enough.​

I too had similar issues with our young Sully. I bumped up the temps....and made it deeper. Sully floated...and was happy. For the first week or so while he got adjusted, id cradle our sully in my cupped hand. Sully quickly learned this was a fun, daily thing.
I had wondered about raising the water level, I was stressing out about him getting water up his nose. The water that I run, I keep my hand underneath it to make sure it doesn't get too hot or too cold. I tend to run it more on the warm side. I will definitely try bring in the water level up, and cradle him in my hand. Thank you so much for the advice.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I had wondered about raising the water level, I was stressing out about him getting water up his nose. The water that I run, I keep my hand underneath it to make sure it doesn't get too hot or too cold. I tend to run it more on the warm side. I will definitely try bring in the water level up, and cradle him in my hand. Thank you so much for the advice.
Tomorrow when I soak him, I will put a thermometer in the tub of water to get an accurate reading. What temp do you think I should shoot for?

Bee62

Germany
Glad to know that it is normal, he( assuming it is a he) is close to 3 yrs of age. I dont think he was soaked much before I got him a month-and-a-half ago or so. I am only assuming that because in his first soak he passed an incredible amount of urates that look like little white bb's.
Ah, that makes sense, when your tort wasn`t so often soaked before you got him. He must learn that the warm water does not harm him. My torts had been babies when I got them and now they are 16 months old. Every morning they crawl in their terracotta saucer to bath in the warm water. When I got them they avoid the water dish, now they like the warm water and the soaks too. Your tortoise will learn that too, but it takes time. Torts are slow ....:)

Bee62

Germany
Tomorrow when I soak him, I will put a thermometer in the tub of water to get an accurate reading. What temp do you think I should shoot for?
I measure the temp of the soaking water not, but I think it will be 30 C. I use my hand to know if it is comfortable warm or too hot.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Ah, that makes sense, when your tort wasn`t so often soaked before you got him. He must learn that the warm water does not harm him. My torts had been babies when I got them and now they are 16 months old. Every morning they crawl in their terracotta saucer to bath in the warm water. When I got them they avoid the water dish, now they like the warm water and the soaks too. Your tortoise will learn that too, but it takes time. Torts are slow ....:)
I am very much looking forward to when that time comes. I have one of those clay saucers in there now for his water. I haven't seen him drink out of it yet, or really stop to bathe in it. The closest he has come so far, is when he see's me comming with his food and he does the tortoise trot through the water dish to get to it[emoji3].

Bee62

Germany
The water level should be half the shell, not higher. It makes them stress when the level is too high. They have fear to drown when the water level is too high.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
The water level should be half the shell, not higher. It makes them stress when the level is too high. They have fear to drown when the water level is too high.
Ok, I have been putting it close to half way up. Maybe a little shallower. One day I stuck him in and I went to retrieve my pizza rolls from the microwave and when I came back his head was all the way under water blowing bubbles. At first I freaked out, and my first instinct was to grab him but I refrained from doing so and realized he was just drinking. It was pretty cool to see.

Last edited:

MissFreshRR

Southern Cali
I agree, warmer and deeper. My sulcata hatching hated it the first week and we were struggling to get to the 30 minute mark. I've bumped up the temp of the water warmer than luke warm and added a little more depth, now he sits sprawled out head and neck above the water and can go a full hour without complaints.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I agree, warmer and deeper. My sulcata hatching hated it the first week and we were struggling to get to the 30 minute mark. I've bumped up the temp of the water warmer than luke warm and added a little more depth, now he sits sprawled out head and neck above the water and can go a full hour without complaints.
I would love to hit the 1 hour mark!! Will give the warmer water a try 4 sure[emoji3]

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
So after looking at some of the Care sheets, and numerous post I have been been soaking our tortoise since I got him. And I totally understand the benefits that soaking provides to overall health. That being said, shelldon does not share the same opinion as I do. I have been using a kitty litter pan that is that is Tan in color and he cannot see out of. I have been using warm water but not too warm, and fill it just where his plastin meets is carapace. I want to be able to do the 20 to 30 minute soaks that people recommend, but unfortunately we seldom break the 15-minute mark. He just goes nuts, he will sit still for maybe a minute or two. Then he goes all over and tries to climb up the sides, I'm afraid I am stressing him out. Other than not giving him the 20 to 30 minutes that I would like, my biggest concern is when he tries climbing the sides and he slips back down and the mini wave he creates splashes on his face. And when I take him out, sometimes it sounds like he is getting water in his nose. Is there anything I can do to make this more enjoyable, and less stressful for him? I had to read a few times about doing it in the morning, he seems to dislike it no matter what. And also no matter how shallow the water is, he continues to seem to get it up his nose and wanted to know if this is going to cause any possible health effects on him, and what should I change?

If you're a morning person you should soak your tortoise as soon as he / she wakes up. Mine doesn't like soaking after hes been basking for a few hours - I have since switched to morning soaks and he stays calm all the way.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
If you're a morning person you should soak your tortoise as soon as he / she wakes up. Mine doesn't like soaking after hes been basking for a few hours - I have since switched to morning soaks and he stays calm all the way.
I have mixed it up and morning is by far the most he will put up with it. Mid/late day is the worst.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I have mixed it up and morning is by far the most he will put up with it. Mid/late day is the worst.

they are super sluggish in the morning so they can't be bothered escaping lol specially at this time of the year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Dude. What do you mean put up with it? What choice does he have. Stick him in the water, keep the water warm one way or another and walk away. Its not hurting him.

Some tortoises act like you are dropping them in acid. I've had many start out that way. All of them get used to it, and it hurts none of them.

Its good for them. It does not harm. It really doesn't matter if they don't like it. They all get used to it.

My daughter doesn't want to go to bed when I tell her too either. Sometimes she cries and acts like she's being abused. I still make her go to bed on time every single night.