What could have happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
Suddenly one of my little leopards is acting really sick. Almost like he's had a stroke. When he walks it's almost in a circle and his head just drags along the ground sideways. His legs seem to want to go in different directions. Tried soaking him and he holds his head up. But when he tries to walk in the water his head goes underneath the water and just drags along. There's no bubbles on his nose, so I'm thinking not a URI. He spent a lot of time under the basking lamp which is over 100, heat stroke?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds so sad to watch:(. Maybe heat stroke or could he have eaten something poisonous? Have you checked the temps in the whole enclosure? With the warmer temps, the inside enclosures need to be monitored for over heating. The only thing I have on in mine is in the a.m. The MVB comes on. He eats and goes outside. The mvb goes off. I bring him in at 7 turn MVB on for an hour then lights out for night. No added nite time heat. The temp stays in the 80's day and nite except under the basking which is in a tote box that he can come out of. I hope others might have a more clear answer. However, you may need to take him to the vet to find out. Keep us updated, good luck

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Yep, there are two others also. Almost totally different symptoms. The only thing the same is I now notice his plastron has gotten a little softer. Wasn't like that before

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Mike, I would quickly set up equal enclosures for each one of them....if I am understanding correctly--this one along with the little one that passed and two others (4 total housed together?)

I would remove all substrate and replace with new/fresh soil---for each enclosure.

I would remove all water dishes and food dishes and either replace with all new ones and or bleach each dish and set them out in the sun to dry after all bleach soaking and rinsing done....

I would remove any porous items from the enclosure and toss those items....perhaps go to the .99 cent store and pick up some of their fake silk plants and put some in each enclosure to provide for hiding...but I would not put in solid hides right now...you do not want your babies to sleep themselves away....and solid hides seem to promote this behavior in an ailing tort baby...

I would not use bright basking lights at this time, but would rather use a night black heating bulb to offer some calm but warmth...especially since you are able to bring them outside daily for sunlight---which is essential, especially for an ailing tort--can not skip this (unless of course it is cold out and raining)...and you should do for at least an hour each day but make sure there is shade your tort can retreat to...UVA UVB travel into the shade up to 4 feet..so even if they retreat to the shade they will be getting fresh air and rays...(make sure they are in separate outside spaces---not shared ground or food items)...

I would then make sure your temps are good...also no less than 80 degrees day and night and an increased heat spot to 95 degrees (yes you can create this temp by lowering/raising your night heat source/night heat bulb)...

Daily warm water soaks are necessary---I would perhaps do two of them total in a day for a few days...warm water, calm environment and each in their own soaking dish--no sharing of dishes between these three...

Also, I would offer them really smelly food to peak their interest....like mushrooms, carrot shavings, things that have a high smell factor...just to get them to locate and eat the food if they have an interest---you of cours can top their greens with a yummy to get them to the food....

Also, while soaking your torts, make sure to gently drizzle the warm water over their heads and eyes...this will help their eyes to keep wet and help to not allow sealing up...if you need to get a magnifying glass to be sure you can see their eyes really well...or you can take your cell phone/camera and take a pic of their eyes and then enlarge that if it is hard to see close up since they are small.....

I would also make sure that while dealing with these three and any of your other torts you WASH YOUR HANDS with hot water and soap..totally dry your hands ...do this between each handling of anything and any tort...

So uh, this is just some of what I would do.....:p:p:p:rolleyes:

Don't give up....keep trying....as in things in life, there is no guarantee of anything......but if you try and not give up on them they have a chance....YOU CAAAAAAN DOOOOO IT :D

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
Well, the one was dead this morning. The other two are in for a second soak now. The greens shrink up so much during the day that I can't be sure they're eating them. I'll try Mazuri in the morning.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry to hear another one passed. Sure wish it could be figured out. Fingers crossed and good thoughts being sent your way that the others stay healthy.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Once the shell starts going soft, it is very difficult to reverse, even immediate vet attention is no guarantee of success, is any of the other's shells going soft?

Status
Not open for further replies.