Enough soaking for a adult Russian?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have also been under the impression, that if you soak in clean water and then afterwards you dry your tortoise/the shell dries under the heat lamp shell rot wouldn't be a problem. It is hard to believe that done right soaking would be the only cause of shell rot...
No one ever said only soaking would cause shell rot!
Yes, if you dry the shell plastron mainly before putting it back in its enclosure then it's not wet bottom sitting on damp substrate. Most don't dry their tortoise first, cuz it's better for most tortoises to not dry them. Those prone to rot probably should at least dry the plastron but I haven't ever seen that mentioned as something that should be done. It would also likely depend on the substrate. Is it wet on top or just on the bottom layers? Each owner needs to be sure they are following what's best for their species not just what is the general rule.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
WOW.... Great conversation about soaking. @wellington, I think you said it when you put "It depends on how they are kept." We live in the desert so we soak EVERYDAY, why? We have very low Humidity levels (single digit) so our Tortoises need more water, it's as easy as that. When we lived near Yvonne G humidity levels were 30%-40% all day and go up to over 60% t night. A tortoise kept at these levels is going to lose less water and will need less water, as easy as that.
As for the "Big Ones", I do have large Agricultural Water Tubs that I use, I give them as well a soak at least 2 times a week. In the summer it will be everyday, because of the higher temps it will make it easier. It is really hard to put a 100+lb tort in water over 80 Degrees when the temperature high only gets to 65. I understand the importance of soaking babies but I also think that adults need the soaks just as much as the babies. An adult Sulcata in our Desert air will lose water just as a baby will, so I don't see how it is less important for an adult, of course this is "MY" climate that dictates this.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
PacificNorthWest
Would you say red foot’s are the exception? Because going back before I met the red foot my moms partner owns, she was getting soaked about once a month, once I met her and started doing some research, most people were recommending a soak at the beginning and end of the week, so I suggested we give it a go, with that her skin has become so much brighter and softer over time! She just looks so much more hydrated and healthy overall.
Would you say it differs for other species of adults torts? Like the Russians for example, especially when they don’t have such high humidity requirements? I’m always curious to learn new things about the care of other species🙂
Redfoot are so totally different than most other species... their needs for exact temperatures and humidity are very different. As an example, my Redfoot, Layla, lives in a mini greenhouse with a constant temperature between 85 to 90 with 80 to 90% humidity....Russians or Sulcata don't need those temperatures...and we are talking about adults...both of those species might be prone to plastron rot with all that humidity and wet substrate, I would think. Layla will spend several days just napping and sitting in her paint roller pan, then she won't soak herself again for a few days. I don't ever soak her...I have a large Sulcata who soaks herself in the box turtle pond pretty regularly and a smaller tort I soak about every other day.
I had a 17 year old 100+ pound Sulcata who developed a bladder stone as big as a soft ball...he was extremely well hydrated...that box turtle pond was actually dug for that Sulcata. He soaked himself often and played in the water daily during that kinda weather. So why did he get that stone? After eliminating one thing at a time, it was decided that he simply couldn't walk as much as needed in the area I had for him...So it takes many things to all line up in order to help create a great tortoise of any species...100_5048.JPG

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I have now done two longer soaks this week (30 minutes on friday and today) and i am already seeing some changes! His skin seems to be shedding in bigger pieces that before, especially from his backside (could also be that he has been enjoying digging the past few days in his humid hide). Now I have resist the urge to peel the big piece of skin from the start of his tail...20240428_142059.jpg20240428_142109.jpg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I have now done two longer soaks this week (30 minutes on friday and today) and i am already seeing some changes! His skin seems to be shedding in bigger pieces that before, especially from his backside (could also be that he has been enjoying digging the past few days in his humid hide). Now I have resist the urge to peel the big piece of skin from the start of his tail...View attachment 369781View attachment 369782
The cute little tort butt😭