Hatchling Enclosure questions

Babytort

My new hatchling arrives tomorrow! I have a few questions about her enclosure...

I have wheat grass planted in there, and plan on putting some African grass seeds in the soil. Is this ok?

The humidity ranges from 50-90, i know this isn't perfect but is it something i should worry about? 50 is in the basking spot and 90 is by his humid hide.

I attached a picture and am open to any advice.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1495551383764.jpg
    1495551383764.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 35

Korall

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
My new hatchling arrives tomorrow! I have a few questions about her enclosure...

I have wheat grass planted in there, and plan on putting some African grass seeds in the soil. Is this ok?

The humidity ranges from 50-90, i know this isn't perfect but is it something i should worry about? 50 is in the basking spot and 90 is by his humid hide.

Thanks!

Looks nice, what temps are there though? And how do you keep it warm during the night?

What kind of tortoise is it, and what uv bulb are you using?

The reason that the humidity is low is probably because of that netted opening around the lamps, of course it's needed for the lamps heat and uv to get inside though you could cover up the area that doesn't have to be open with something like aluminum foil.

Good luck!

Babytort

He's a salcuta. I posted a pictures of the lights. Both the che and heat lamp are 100w

Its about 100 in the soaking spot 75-80 on the cool side and 80-90 on the warm side.

Attachments

• 1495580714397.jpg
    1495580714397.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 1495580723631.jpg
    1495580723631.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 14

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The UVB is being blocked having to go through the mesh. It's probably not blocked 100% but would be better to cut holes in the mesh for the actual UVB bulb to shine thru.
The temps you have are fine, but if those temps are with the UVB bulb on and you have one che for night time heat, it will get too cold and the baby will get sick. The heat has to be no lower then 80 and humidity no lower then 80% day and night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read the closed chamber thread written by Tom and adjust your enclosure. It's almost impossible to keep heat and humidity up day and night without it being a closed chamber. High humidity and food temps make babies sick or die.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Thanks!

The following is not meant to be discouraging. It is meant to help prevent you from making and irreparable error.

Unless the whole room is 80 degrees and 80% humidity all the time, you will not be able to maintain the correct temperatures and humidity with that set up. Low sided tubs like the one you have there, are the worst possible way to house a baby sulcata. Physics dictates that the warm humid air you are trying to create and maintain will simply drift up and out into the room.

You are going to need something with taller sides and a closed in top. Best to buy or build a closed chamber. Give these a read through for more explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

While I'm sure this news is a bummer, I'm trying to prevent the real bummer of looking at a pyramided tortoise for the next few decades. Please ask for more explanation if needed. We are here to help and to talk torts.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I attached a picture. Thanks!
Some that jumped out to me, and maybe I've missed someone else mentioning it to you, but I'm sorry to have to tell you that those dial type thermometers and humidity gauges are no good for providing good readings. The digital ones with a probe are much better. And the best part is you can buy them a most hardware stores. That said, you do have them at a great location being just a few inches off the bottom, where your baby will be spending most of its time.