Sulcata Hatchling Help

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So about the bottom shell being slightly soft... Is this normal for a hatchling?

• I'll defer to many others who have dealt with young sullys like yours. Ours was about 3-4 weeks old when received, bottom wasnt soft. @Tom or @Yvonne G or @Lancecham or @Team Gomberg should be able to respond regarding soft shell syndrome.

Kellymay528

• From what Ive read, the worst thing is sand regarding torts ingesting it and getting impacted. The other things to stay away from are rabbit pellets and ground walnut shells. Coco coir/husks, sphagnum peat moss, plain garden soil are all good too, just no added fertilizers or additives, etc. I'd suggest a nice 2-3 inch layer of coco coir/husk. Good luck.
Ps, where in MD?

Near Baltimore. Go Ravens haha.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Not everyone defines "soft" the same way... But it won't be rock hard until it's older and it shouldn't feel so soft and spongey that you worry it'll pop (I've handled some of those...it's so sad).

Who was the breeder?
Do you know how they housed the baby before it came to you?

Kellymay528

Not everyone defines "soft" the same way... But it won't be rock hard until it's older and it shouldn't feel so soft and spongey that you worry it'll pop (I've handled some of those...it's so sad).

Who was the breeder?
Do you know how they housed the baby before it came to you?

It came from a well known website. They are captive bred. The best way I can describe it is a tubaware container lid. It's not like spongy just squishy to a point where I put enough pressure and he moves in his shell a bit. I have no information about the housing or anything.

Kellymay528

Okay. I was just debating on (as horrible as this sounds) trying to exchange for one that is 4 inches. I know hatchlings are more delicate. I worry way too much I guess. I just don't want to give him up but at the same time I want him to be healthy. I emailed them to see what they have to say. He's just so sweet. I'd hate to have to send him back.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thinking about exchanging him is not "horrible" at all! You sound like someone who cares a lot about doing the right things for your pet. But you're very sensible to take good care of YOURSELF, too! Having pets is meant to add enjoyment to our lives. Sure, there's always a certain amount of stress in being responsible for ANY living creature, but if your new guy is sickly and causes only worry and distress, then exchanging him is exactly the right thing to do! Only you can decide where your comfort level is. I don't think anyone here will criticize you if you traded him in.:p

For what it's worth, I got a 4 inch long tort as my first tortoise pet because i know I'm a worrier, and I would stress too much if I got a hatchling. It was absolutely the right decision for me!

You are getting off to a much better start than many do! Good job!
And good luck with whatever you decide! :)

Kellymay528

Thinking about exchanging him is not "horrible" at all! You sound like someone who cares a lot about doing the right things for your pet. But you're very sensible to take good care of YOURSELF, too! Having pets is meant to add enjoyment to our lives. Sure, there's always a certain amount of stress in being responsible for ANY living creature, but if your new guy is sickly and causes only worry and distress, then exchanging him is exactly the right thing to do! Only you can decide where your comfort level is. I don't think anyone here will criticize you if you traded him in.:p

For what it's worth, I got a 4 inch long tort as my first tortoise pet because i know I'm a worrier, and I would stress too much if I got a hatchling. It was absolutely the right decision for me!

You are getting off to a much better start than many do! Good job!
And good luck with whatever you decide! :)

Thanks for understanding.! I'm going to keep him and monitor him because I don't want to give him up ):
I just worry way too much. I'm mainly just worried about this shell issue but let's just hope it's a hatchling thing!