Cant wait until my new Ploughshare arrives!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiated

5 Year Member
I can try, but can i use it for a week or so? What size are they usually able to breed? Can u tell the gender at 21 cm?
Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
I can try, but can i use it for a week or so? What size are they usually able to breed? Can u tell the gender at 21 cm?
Thanks

Using it for a week won't kill it, but it's far from ideal. For most tortoises the 4" mark is when the sex is distinguishable. For breeding size, ask Honolulu Zoo for some info.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Do any non-asian users on the TFO have ploughshares? I often see that many asian users have a couple but haven't seen any others.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Most non-Asian users don't have any ploughshares because it's extremely rare see any in America. There are many ploughshares that are caught in the wild and sold in the Asia market.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Would it be possible to ship one to the US from China? Legally?

Radiated

5 Year Member
But what about the security check? wouldn't that be hard and wouldn't that be smuggling?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
The ploughshare is a CITES 1 animal, meaning that no (legal) international trade of this species is allowed. There are lots of ploughshares in Asia due to the fact that many smuggled animals are transported to black markets in the Southeast parts (Bangkok, Thailand is regarded as a ground zero). They're then smuggled across borders once more to be sold to more economically powerful surrounding countries such as China. The lack of border security and re-enforcement of illegal trade in these countries, followed by the price paid for a ploughshare (up to $200 000US for an adult) only adds more poachers in Madagascar and increases pressure on the remaining population of wild tortoises.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Anyone here want to buy a ploughshare? Or want to try to ship it? :p

Radiated

5 Year Member
Is anyone willing to buy one? Would u be able to get a permit once it arrives in the US?

JacksonR

5 Year Member
How much does it cost? I'm serial about this.....it just sounds like i'm not.

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
I wonder if you sent a tortoise to someone, and border stops the package, who is at fault? The sender or the receipient?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, and I must take the blame here.

One of our most strict rules is:

4. Refrain from the discussion of any illegal activity.

So...Please stop talking about the illegal shipment of CITES animal into the U.S. Any more talk about it and the thread will be not only closed, but totally deleted.

wildak

5 Year Member
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, and I must take the blame here.

One of our most strict rules is:

4. Refrain from the discussion of any illegal activity.

So...Please stop talking about the illegal shipment of CITES animal into the U.S. Any more talk about it and the thread will be not only closed, but totally deleted.

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Cant-wait-until-my-new-Ploughshare-arrives?page=3#ixzz1pyPFsdml

I agree, we don't need anymore bad reptile publicity. We may see it as joking but others watching may not.

Status
Not open for further replies.