Guilt

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyBoy

5 Year Member
We bought a RT from PetSmart 2 mos ago. She's in a 3ft x 1 1/2 ft Tupperware bin. It was the largest I could find. She has a good substrate and warming and UVB lights. But I feel terribly guilty that she's living her life in a bin in my son's room! she gets out about once a day but not for too long. She's always scratching to get out.

I wonder if she should go somewhere that would be better for her. It's too cold here for her to go out for another 6 weeks or so. Should I be so worried about her intellectual stimulation?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well....is there any possibilities for a larger enclosure? May we see a pic of the enclosure? How big is your tort (how long is his shell?) How old is your son? About where in the world do you live (asking to help offer outdoor enclosure suggestions)...

I believe we can offer you plenty of tips to offer a better situation for your tort...if you are wanting to keep him as part of your family :D

Please do not feel guilty because you are in need of some support and guidance ...lol

We love to help :p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
How about getting two tubs and connecting them together with a doorway, sort of in an 'L' shape?
Russians do like to pace and explore.

Angela has good questions for you, so we can try to help!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
lynnedit said:
How about getting two tubs and connecting them together with a doorway, sort of in an 'L' shape?
Russians do like to pace and explore.

Angela has good questions for you, so we can try to help!

:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can you put a heat source outside and build a pen out there?
or build a bigger indoor one.. use a bookshelf lay it down, you might need a plywood backing, remove the shelves, line is with plastic, put top soil in and a hide, lights.. and done.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are lots of ways to make things better. It's great that you care so much, and that makes me think your tortoise found the right home.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Many of use old furniture as a tortoise table. I have a bookcase without shelves to give Joe plenty of space. Pond liner or heavy duty polythene can be used to make it water-tight. Add soil, some things to hide in and climb on, a plant and some rocks, heat, light and water and you have a new home. You really don't have to spend much :)

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
My setup for my RT is pretty simple. Wal Mart sells a $15 bookcase that is 3ft x 3ft x1ft tall.
I lined it with thick plastic ($5), like JoesMum suggested, and threw in some substrate ($20), two fake plants on sale from hobby lobby ($8), a plastic flowerpot on its side for a hide ($3), and a pile of hay and a couple ceramic plates ($5).
Should be approx. $50 for a good setup. He's not anywhere special either, just on the floor in a corner in my study.

Here's the end result:
Habitatupgradesandmisc003.jpg

And don't feel bad, I spent $70 on a stupid 20 gallon glass tank, because Petco told me he'd be happy there. BULL***T! Poor little guy was in there for about 3 weeks! But he's totally fine. You'd be amazed what they can endure!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jaime:

If you keep in mind that the main habitat for your tortoise should be outdoors and the secondary habitat indoors for inclement weather, then your tortoise will be much better off. And after you get him set up outside (once the weather is good), then next autumn you can let him start thinking about hibernating. That way you don't have to worry about an indoor habitat at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.