How old do you think my RT is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern USA
Hi,
I got my Russian Tortoise from PetSmart about a year and 4 months ago and was wondering how old you think she is. She's about 5 1/2" long, 4 1/2" wide, and each scute is about 1", if that helps. She weighs 1 lb. 5 oz.
Thanks so much!
TortoiseLuv0131

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Probably 7+ years old.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

dlrowe

5 Year Member
I don't believe there is a way to tell how old a tortoise is unless it was captive bred. Most Chain pet shops get wild caught tortoises. They all grow at different rates. In the wild food can be scarce in certain places so wild caught tortoise won't eat as often as pet tortoises so their growth rate is much slower. Congrats on your new Russian!

Sent from my PG86100 using TortForum mobile app

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Thanks so much, both of you :). I'm going that she's around 7 or 8 for now. I did get her captive bred (at least, I hope so...does PetSmart captive breed their torts? I'm pretty sure they do) so I will ask them next time I go at what age their torts are brought to the store.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: How old do you think my RT is?

Once a tort gets to that size, the age is anyone's guess. I agree at 7+ as it is quite big, but that could be 17 or 27 or...

Torts grow at different rates depending on whether they are wild caught or captive bred and on their diet and living conditions. I doubt PetSmart actually bred any torts themselves. They will get them from breeders, in which case, they are more likely to youngsters or they will sell wild caught. My bet on a tort this size is that it is wild caught. It just wouldn't be economic for a breeder to keep them to that size before selling.

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
JoesMum said:
Once a tort gets to that size, the age is anyone's guess. I agree at 7+ as it is quite big, but that could be 17 or 27 or...

Torts grow at different rates depending on whether they are wild caught or captive bred and on their diet and living conditions. I doubt PetSmart actually bred any torts themselves. They will get them from breeders, in which case, they are more likely to youngsters or they will sell wild caught. My bet on a tort this size is that it is wild caught. It just wouldn't be economic for a breeder to keep them to that size before selling.

Thank you,
I'm pretty sure PetSmart does get their torts from a breeder. Myrtle really was a fair bit smaller when I got her a year ago. I do hope that she isn't very old, but I will ask our vet his opinion when she goes for her dewormer and checkup in November.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I believe most torts from Petco and Petsmart are wild caught. If she was that large when you got her she was not captive bred.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

Can you attach a picture?

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
I just talked to the PetSmart manager and he said that the torts that the store gets are all captive bred and 6 months to a year by the time they get to the store. I might have led some of you astray because I forgot to mention that when I got her a year and 4 months ago she was about 1/2 the size. I'm going that she's about 2 years old by now. Thank you all so much for your help!

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
Hello TortoiseLuv,
I got my Russian Tortoise from a local reptile shop 10 days ago and the shop owner told me that he is 2011 hatchling - which means about 2 years old.
His shell is 6.8cm (2.67 inches) long and he weighs 64g (2.25oz). (Please see my avatar photo)
There were 2 other Russians from the same hatch in the same shop, and all of them were pretty similar size.
I think your tortoise would be older than 2...

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Congrats on your new boy :D!
I honestly really don't know what to think, I called several PetSmarts and they all said the same thing - 6 months or so when they got to the store. Oh well, I'm not that concerned, because she's gonna live for 100 years anyway lol!!

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
It is rare for PetSmart or Petco or any other chain store to sell Captive Brewd tortoises. Your tortoise is most likely more than two years old, or maybe it is growing VERY quickly. Please post a pic if you can.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
As I work at a one of the aforementioned national pet chains I can tell you that there are no captive bred Russians sold, they're all wild caught. Just one look at the battle scars on their shells. Also most are barely 4" and probably 3-5 years old.

The only a captive bred torts available to the chain I work for are Redfoots, but I think they a farm bred in South America and shipped in.

If some one is telling you they are captive bred they are misinformed or just outright lying.

Dar's mum

5 Year Member
SW England, UK
TortoiseLuv0131 said:
Congrats on your new boy :D!
I honestly really don't know what to think, I called several PetSmarts and they all said the same thing - 6 months or so when they got to the store. Oh well, I'm not that concerned, because she's gonna live for 100 years anyway lol!!

Thank you! My Darwin is very active and cute:D
Indeed! Age doesn't matter, as long as you love each other! ;)

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I was also told my russian was six months to a yearling but it was an out right lie. That is what they are instructed to say. My tort turned out to be closer to 6-8yrs old. So not believe anything a chain store tells you, they are only concerned about the sale and not the accuracy of the information.

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
All right. I guessed she wasn't that young anyway. I'll ask my vet how old he thinks she is next time I go there.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
TortoiseLuv0131 said:
All right. I guessed she wasn't that young anyway. I'll ask my vet how old he thinks she is next time I go there.

The problem is we can estimate, but we could be decades off. Now yours isn't fully frown, so I think saying somewhere between 5 and 15 years old is at least close.

Status
Not open for further replies.