New Russian Tortoise Lily (or Silly Lily)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine
Hey all,
About a 2 months ago my wife and I bought Lily at a reptile expo in NH. She's ~5 years old, maybe 5" or so. We were unprepared for her, but we've done tons of research and I think we're doing all we can to keep her happy and healthy. I will add pictures of her and her enclosure later today. Shortly after taking her home she developed and eye infection so we took her to a reptile vet, ran her through a course of antibiotics and some meds for hookworm. The infection cleared up and her worms are also gone :) We were using a small plastic bin for her but we recently built her a larger enclosure (indoor as we live in Maine). It's 4' x 4' x 1'. We have two UVB heat bulbs opposite from each other, and 2 infrared heat lamps on the other two sides. Temps are around 80 avg. during the day (90's under the lights, and 70 avg at night with the two day lights out. We feed her nothing but greens (mostly collards, endive, escarole, green chard, and occasionally romain lettuce). We're using a coconut choir / play sand substrate. We bathe her 2-3 times a week. I'm concerned about her level of activity. She eats everyday, but very sparsely. She sleeps maybe 20 hours a day minimum and won't get up to eat or anything unless we bother her. She sleeps with her head all the way out as well...don't know if that's normal. She also doesn't really burrow in her substrate. She's almost always in the same exact spot I leave her in when I get home from work. I know she was wild caught, and I'm thinking maybe she's trying to hibernate. I check her over all the time and she is showing no signs of being unhealthy. Clear eyes, hard shell, etc. She also never takes more than a few steps away from her food when she's done and immediatly goes to sleep after eating. She's lively for a few minutes after a bath, but not for very long. I really want to know if this is normal as my wife and I really love her. I'm just really not sure how lively a healthy russian tortoise is supposed to be.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello welcome to the forum :)Congrats on your new addition you said you got her from a reptile expo in NH was that the one at the Radisson hotel? :cool:

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I think so...in Manchester...don't remember the name of the hotel.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
That's the one they did not have many tort's ton's of snakes you must have got Lily on Saturday I did not see a Russian I was there on Sunday just a few sullies an a little Leo that I almost came home with;)

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
Yes Saturday. They had maybe 10 russian torts, my wife and I spent maybe an hour trying to decide if we wanted one (She did, I didn't- and OMG I love this tortoise now :) ) I think by one or one thirty they only had 2 or 3 left.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome!! Since this thread needs some advice on Russians along with being a welcoming thread, I am going to place a copy of it in the Russian area (okay?) Be sure to check over there for thoughts and ideas on your Russian.
Meanwhile, glad your here!! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jrholls (may we know your name?):

Welcome to the forum.

My first thought when this question arises is always, "Is the tortoise warm enough?"

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How long are your MVB lights on for?

Danny

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I'm sorry, my name is Jared. I believe she's warm enough. She's warm to the touch at least. I keep her UVA/UVB lamps on 12-14 hrs (one 60W one 100W), and her two infrared heat lamps are on 24 hrs (60w and 100w). It is a big enclosure, and I'm more than willing to add more lights or something, but as far as I can tell the temps are pretty good throughout the enclosure and I don't want to over do it. I'm at work right now so I can't get pictures up until later tonight. How active are russians to begin with? Thanks again :)

I also keep the house ambient temperature around 60-65 degrees

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Normally russians are very active even is some what cooler weather, cause where they come from up in the mountains it gets a lot colder. My 3 don't really burrow either, My first thought is she? he? is trying ot hibernate regarding the 20 hour a day sleeping. I have always said even though we try and "trick" them into staying awake they sometimes just want to hibernate.

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
Is it unhealthy to let her hibernate even though it's not cold for her? Should I keep waking her up and trying to get her to eat everyday? Baths? I mean, if she wants to hibernate, should I let her, and if so what do I need to do. I just want her to be ok. I've heard different things about hibernation, like putting tortoises in the refrigerator, etc...I don't know if I want to do that.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What kind of thermometer do you have? Just feeling her can be deceiving I would recommend a temp gun if you have a big table with that many light's you should spot check the table to make sure it is not to hot or cold in any giving spot an adjust accordingly

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I've got 3 strip thermometers that adhere to the sides and one analog thermometer that I move around to check temps. How expensive are the temp guns?...if not too bad I'll get one on my way home today.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
jrholls said:
I've got 3 strip thermometers that adhere to the sides and one analog thermometer that I move around to check temps. How expensive are the temp guns?...if not too bad I'll get one on my way home today.

the PE-1 goes for 30 PE-2 goes for 55 the PE-2 has a laser on it check Ebay you might find them cheaper on there that's where Igot mind

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
Would they have those at a place like Lowe's or Home Depot?

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I bought a cheap infrared thermometer at radio shack. Temps are high 80's under the 100 watt bulbs and low 80's under the 60 watt bulbs. Temps in areas not under direct light are 75 or so. I'll check again tonight when her day lights are out. lilyupclose.jpgenclosure2.jpgenclosure1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
It looks very nice :) Most Russian enclosures have a basking side in the 80s to 90s and a cooler side in the 70s. Yours looks nice because she has a choice of a lot of different temps. Like in the middle would be cooler and if she wants to bask she can choose which ever light she wants :) So that looks good to me, but I'm no expert :p One thing, try to put the two logs in different places so she can hide in which ever temp she would like! You seem like a great first-time owner giving her all that space! That's how much I wish I could give Rambo :p

Oh, and she has a very cute face! :)

One more thing, are you sure she's a girl? If not you can post pictures of her tail and the experts can verify!

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
Yes. She's definitely female. Thanks very much as we are very proud of her enclosure. Whole thing cost around 90 bucks to build. I just wish she would move around more and explore it. I'm still very concerned that she's too lethargic. Especially now that I know she's warm enough. Do I need to hibernate her?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Are those MVB bulbs in the corner if so they should be pointed straight down not at an angle

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I don't think so...they are zoomed uva/uvb heat bulbs...not sure what kind the red ones are.

Status
Not open for further replies.