Greek tortoise won't eat (Dec.6, 2020)

• Thread starter Trudy_the_tortoise
  • Start date
T

Trudy_the_tortoise

I noticed that my tortoise (Which looks like a Greek) here won't eat for the past few days. He's been eating fine in November but in December he straight up ignores his food. He has the same sleep schedule as before, he sleeps every 2-5 PM until 10 AM, but he does not eat any food. What can I do?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Usually torts stop eating when temperatures are too cold coupled with the shortening of daylight hours. So, how are your temps & lighting? Increase temps & extend your lighting period (for starters).

T

Trudy_the_tortoise

Usually torts stop eating when temperatures are too cold coupled with the shortening of daylight hours. So, how are your temps & lighting? Increase temps & extend your lighting period (for starters).

My house is around 65-70 agrees and the room my tort is in can reach around 80 degrees but is 65 degrees on average. Since the country i'm living in does not have any lighting for reptiles (I moved out of Calgary), I use an old reptile lamp. It still has strong lighting. I have no problem with the lightning but for the temperature, is it too cold or hot, or is it ok? I keep the lighting on for 12 hours each day.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Photos of the tortoise, the enclosure and the lighting will help us to help you.

Your tortoise MUST be able to bask at 95-100F in order to be able to raise its body temperature enough to be active, eat and digest food.

It MUST have a UVB source... an old bulb likely emits little or no UVB by now. You will need to shop online to get a newer one.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
You need to figure out what your Temps are. By what you have provided it seems yours are too cold.

T

Trudy_the_tortoise

Thanks for your advice. I ordered a new bulb, and now my tortoise is a warmer area (95 degrees). Today it ate the food I gave it. Thanks for everyone who replied to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: