Good News, and Bad News

Status
Not open for further replies.

antmantis1

5 Year Member
Hello, today I went out and found a Russian Tortoise in a pets store. He's 70.00:( but with "pet perks" he's 30% off!:) So I decided I wuld get him for my Birthday! My only problem is I'm yound and my guardian toldme right off te bat there not paying for ANYTHING. I'm getting money for my birthday so I will be able to by certain things. I'm just glad to now I could get one after my traumatic experience with a tarantula. But I wated to let everyone know I will soon have a prehistoric creature. Also, I used the "footprint" method on my rubber maid tank bin and my foot fits. Also, I got to hold my RT today and he couldnt be no bigger than 3-4 inches so would a 16.38 gallon be sufficient until I can get somthing bigger and BETTER. Please reply fast i only have about 2 weeks to put it all together. I knoweverything I will need. But any enclosure ideas? Would be great! Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Will you have a regular source of money to feed your tortoise after your birthday money is used up? I am curious...if you measured your enclosure how wide and long is the bottom of the enclosure? :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No that is not big enough. There is another thread where someone posted the same question about that size tub. Storage tubs at kmart, target, home depot, etc are inexpensive. The largest ones are around $30.00 or so. You will also need lighting, heating, substrate, food, vet bills possibly. Tortoises are not cheap. Make sure you will have the income to provide everything it needs. Good luck:D

antmantis1

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Will you have a regular source of money to feed your tortoise after your birthday money is used up? I am curious...if you measured your enclosure how wide and long is the bottom of the enclosure? :D

Ok it is 15 inches wide and 20 inches long. Is that ok? I've seen people online house them in EVEN smallr enclosures and so do t he peple in pet stores. And thisguy is only about 3-4 inches and he cawedthe heck out of me today. I will ahve money left over to feed him. I know he's male.

Heliopteryx

5 Year Member
antmantis1 said:
ascott said:

Ok it is 15 inches wide and 20 inches long. Is that ok? I've seen people online house them in EVEN smallr enclosures and so do t he peple in pet stores. And thisguy is only about 3-4 inches and he cawedthe heck out of me today. I will ahve money left over to feed him. I know he's male.

That doesn't sound big enough to me. If I were you, I'd try to get a plastic Christmas tree storage bin, or else the LARGEST one you can find (at least 3 square feet of floor area).

He may be small now, but he will grow.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Bookshelf enclosures are $20
$15 for the bookshelf at Wal Mart and $4 for plastic kitchen liner, plus tax. Takes a single person 1 hour to assemble.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ant1:

When we say, "...a big footprint..." we don't mean your actual foot. What we're talking about is how much room the floor of the habitat takes up as opposed to high or short sides. So lots of gallons usually means high sides but a small footprint. What you want is a large walking around space for the tortoise...or a big footprint. :p

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I spend about $12 on fresh greens alone each week-- they need to be fresh. If the animal became sick it's only fair and the right thing to do is to get it help. If you can not pay for a $75 sudden vet bill you may want to rethink this. If you can earn your keep or get a small job it will help :)

antmantis1

5 Year Member
What about a constructin concrete bin i have one of those. Were talkin about a small dresser to put the enclosure on. Also he will be housed outside and taken outside everyday. I cnt get a bookshelf ritee nw.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you take a picture of the concrete bin you are talking about or at least the size of it, floor space of it and post it. Also if we know where you live, state or country only we could better assist with the indoor enclosure if we know what kind of outside he will be getting. One more thing. The smaller things that other people and pet stores keep them in, isn't correct and isn't the proper way to house them.:D Good Luck:D

antmantis1

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Can you take a picture of the concrete bin you are talking about or at least the size of it, floor space of it and post it. Also if we know where you live, state or country only we could better assist with the indoor enclosure if we know what kind of outside he will be getting. One more thing. The smaller things that other people and pet stores keep them in, isn't correct and isn't the proper way to house them.:D Good Luck:D

Hi thankyou for the help i did not know that pet stores were wrong! I will attach a pic of the bin. I put in a play toy to show about the size of the russian to the bin. I just want the best for him. Bookshelves will be an option for him when my guardian sees how big he is! But in about april he will be housed outdoors and in winter he will be indoors near an alwayd open window. UV is my priority.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
OK, post a picture of your tort. We would like that.
4 feet by 2 feet would be a minimum and a nice spot in the winter. Make sure the sides are tall enough, Russians like to climb!
Bookcases work,turned on their side, as do some of the larger plastic bins.
You can go to a store like Home Depot and get organic topsoil (instead of the expensive substrates at the pet store), and save $ that way.
The main piece of equipment is the UV heat lamp. That will probably be your biggest cost, about $40 or so. Everything else you can get used or at places like Home Depot.
Example: http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=xw0VT5L2NsmOiAK7qcDpDQ&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAg
While you are at Home Depot, you can get a brooder or shop lamp fixture (with a ceramic base) for around $12 (again, cheaper than the pet store).
Getting set up does cost some $, then it is the weekly cost for food.

antmantis1

5 Year Member
Sorry for not getting the picture up. My phone wouldn't let me post it. I do not have the RT yet! I won't get him for another 2-3 weeks.
which I think is great so I can get setup as soon as possible I will put a pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.