Getting Enclosure for Russian Tortoise?

Aud22

Hello everyone! I've decided to finally get a tortoise, and I'm leaning towards getting a Russian, although I'm still keeping my options open. I'm wondering what the absolute best enclosure I can get for one is. I know that aquarium tanks aren't really that great, and that something open works well. I have absolutely no skills, knowledge, or interest in building an enclosure myself, so it must be something store bought. I've read a few places that a large bookcase without the shelves works well, and was possibly leaning towards that, although I want to make sure I'm getting the best set up for the tortoise as possible. Do these tend to work well, or are there better options? The bookcase I was looking at is 36"x48"x12", is this large enough for when the tortoise becomes full grown? I would prefer to buy the right size at the beginning, rather than having to upgrade later on. I live in an apartment in NYC, so obviously space is precious here. I may be able to go a little large if I really try, but that's pushing it. If that size is not large enough for an adult Russian, is there another breed that would do well in that space?

Thank you all for the help!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
I'm sooooooo glad you asked BEFORE you got a tortoise. You just saved yourself so much money!
If you by a baby tortoise you need CLOSED enclosure not open topped. Babies need high humidity. Pet stores don't know this or care for that matter. A large tank is wonderful for the babies. Just cover the top with Plexiglas or cover the screen with tin foil. Cut hole in screen where lamp sets so that non coil type uvb bulb shines unhindered down on surface. High humidity means 70-95% and with the high humidity you need to keep the temperatures above 80 at all times at all parts of the enclosure even in his hide. You need one spot that's higher temp for basking. (Place a flat rock under light). if you use a couple of these temperature/hygrometers you'd be better off. the button type that go on the inside of Tanks or the strips do not work. and these are only $12 on Amazon. Oh, the pet store is going to try to push you into buying a ramped water dish. They are tipping hazards for tortoises. A simple clay pot saucer pushed into the dirt works perfectly for food and water. The water one should be big enough for him to walk around in. This should get you going til someone comes along and gives you the links to the perfect russian care sheets. 'Beginner mistakes' is awesome to read too. Wish I knew how to link them for you but.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-28-19-15-26.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 9

Aud22

Thank you Teresaf! I actually just found the beginner mistakes and Russian care pages. It sounds to me that getting a baby will be more works in regards to humidity than getting a little bit older tortoise? I know there are some good reptile shops and breeders in NYC where I could get one that's past the baby stage. I avoid going to the shops for advice because they seem to always try and oversell you things. The Russian care sheet says that 4'x8' is the ideal enclosure size, so are there any breeds that can do well in something a little smaller? I don't necessarily have my heart set on a particular breed right now. I would rather get one that will thrive in my space than force another breed into something they aren't suited for.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Thank you Teresaf! I actually just found the beginner mistakes and Russian care pages. It sounds to me that getting a baby will be more works in regards to humidity than getting a little bit older tortoise? I know there are some good reptile shops and breeders in NYC where I could get one that's past the baby stage. I avoid going to the shops for advice because they seem to always try and oversell you things. The Russian care sheet says that 4'x8' is the ideal enclosure size, so are there any breeds that can do well in something a little smaller? I don't necessarily have my heart set on a particular breed right now. I would rather get one that will thrive in my space than force another breed into something they aren't suited for.
I don't think so. Most of the experts here recommend 4x8 as a minimum. I used a 4x6 for a while for my Leo but that was too small. A lot of folks will build a 2nd story onto their indoor enclosures for more sq ft. I do recommend a lot of research and prep before buying ANY baby. There are people on here that breed Russians. Russians are a good choice I hear. Very personable and active. You're very smart to avoid a baby if you don't have the time ad finances to do it right. By the way....Some newbies get the idea in their heads that their little tort will need a friend(or two). NOPE. One tort or a group(if you have bunches of room outside). These are solitary animals and they have no use for other torts except to breed.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I hear of others using smaller sizes for their torts so ask around. FYI....Russians are little escape artists I hear....But very likable...

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I hear of others using smaller sizes for their torts so ask around. FYI....Russians are little escape artists I hear....But very likable...

Russians are great starter tortoises! My wive and I jumped right in with a Sulcata! We wouldn't trade him for a million dollars but they definitely need a lot of care, especially as hatchlings! All torts need a ton of care but it looks like you're ready for the task!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
All torts need a fair amount of space as they are wandering animals so the bigger the better as far as enclosure space is concerned. Do you have a garden and a warm climate where you can you provide a secure outdoor enclosure for the day when he is old enough and a smaller one to bring him into at night?
Whatever you do don't get the tort until you have his set up right but you have come to the right place for help with that!