Average monthly/annual budget for a Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitchentales

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, AB
Hello! I am thinking of getting a tortoise as a pet, and am leaning towards the Russian tortoise (as it is small and super cute, and I hear a great beginner tortoise). I know I will have to put some money into a set-up and getting everything initially, but I'm wondering if anyone here has a vague idea of what they might spend on their tortoise over the course of a month/year?... Excluding crazy vet visits of course. I want to make sure a tortoise fits into my budget before I get one. So things like replacement bulbs, food...

Thanks everyone! And any advice you have for a potential new Russian tortoise owner would be fantastic!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The annitial setup is always costly, but after that maintaining them isn't all that much (IMO). I probably spend $20-$30 a month on food for mine, and every 6-8 months I replace her mercury vapour bulb (MVB).

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I can't even imagine how much I spend on my torts for a year.

It's gotta be around the $1500 a year, thats with food and electric for heating and lighting, but I do have a few, to my husband I have 5, but I have now only got 8.
It probably works out more, just don't let the husband know:p:p:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stacey:

If you have nice weather during the summer, it doesn't cost anything to feed your Russian. He will eat the weeds in his pen. Of course, it would cost a bit to initially set up the pen and get it planted.

If he's in the house, you can probably get by with a couple or three heads of something per week. Maybe a small bag of Spring Mix (around $4) then a head of escarole or endive (around $3). So I'd say it might cost you about $10 a week to feed him if he's indoors.

You could even buy some Russian Tortoise seed mixture from carolinapetsupply.com and plant kitty litter trays in the house. Plant several so you can rotate them in and out of his tort table.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It All Depends how much you wanna spoil Your Russian,
you can get away with spending 5-10 bucks a week on food on up!
The Annital setup is alot tho, you have to find a nice 40 gal plus tank, uvb light, hide log, bedding, and plates for food & water!
So Like 250-500!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I dont think one russian would eat $5 worth of spring mix in a week.. He may not eat the whole thing... so YOU will have to share so it doesnt spoil! HA!
I pick weeds,, so mine costs me next to nothing...
The original set up can cost a few hundred. plus or minus.. depending what you build or if you need a indoor/outdoor set up..
Vets can cost more the the animal and set up combined! so start saving for a rainy day..

kitchentales

5 Year Member
Calgary, AB
What are vet costs like for tortoises? I know they're hard to predict, as with any animal. But can anyone give me an idea about it...? And how often have you had to take tortoises in to see the vet? Thanks!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I took one of my russians to the vet she had an RI and it cost me around 250 or so with visits and meds. Food is zero since I grow my own, lighting and heating are zero since they stay outside and hibernate,

Status
Not open for further replies.