New Russian tortoise enclosure

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hello everyone! We are making a new enclosure for our Russian tortoise! He is 4 inches long and we are thinking of about a 5 1/2 ft by 3 ft enclosure. We just found some nice rocks for his new enclosure, which I will post a picture of after they dry (We washed them with soap and put them in boiling water. Is it okay to wash my tortoises rocks with soap?). For his enclosure, we are thinking of buying a cheap bookcase for the sides and plywood or pond lining for the bottom. Which one is better? Also, what is the best water proofing for plywood? Are there any more things I need to know before I start on the enclosure? I will post updates on the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone! We are making a new enclosure for our Russian tortoise! He is 4 inches long and we are thinking of about a 5 1/2 ft by 3 ft enclosure. We just found some nice rocks for his new enclosure, which I will post a picture of after they dry (We washed them with soap and put them in boiling water. Is it okay to wash my tortoises rocks with soap?). For his enclosure, we are thinking of buying a cheap bookcase for the sides and plywood or pond lining for the bottom. Which one is better? Also, what is the best water proofing for plywood? Are there any more things I need to know before I start on the enclosure? I will post updates on the enclosure.
Skip the bookcase and just use plywood and 2x4s. Pond liner should help make it last longer, but I would just use expanded PVC plastic sheets to build instead.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Skip the bookcase and just use plywood and 2x4s. Pond liner should help make it last longer, but I would just use expanded PVC plastic sheets to build instead.
We have no experience in building tortoise enclosures or even making anything from scratch at all. I think its safer to have the bookcase because 4 sides are already made. I'm afraid if we make the whole thing there will be some kind of problem or it will be poorly built, so instead we want to use a bookcase so there is less room for error. Also, do you mean PVC plastic sheets for the bottom instead of pond liner?

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Also, what wood is the best to use for a Russian tortoise? What are some good non-toxic wood sealants? What wood finishes are toxic if I am buying a book case?

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It needs to be bigger! I think I already mentioned that on your other thread. 4x8 minimum. Cuz he is an adult, you said. At least a 3x8. Little too worried about adding a rock than making an appropriate enclosure.
Google pop up greenhouse or raised garden beds. You should be able to find an appropriate sized enclosure with either one of those searches. Worry about the rock later!

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
It needs to be bigger! I think I already mentioned that on your other thread. 4x8 minimum. Cuz he is an adult, you said. At least a 3x8. Little too worried about adding a rock than making an appropriate enclosure.
Google pop up greenhouse or raised garden beds. You should be able to find an appropriate sized enclosure with either one of those searches. Worry about the rock later!
Ok. Are there garden beds I should avoid? Do they have any finishing they might be toxic? Also, since it is a garden bed does it already have a waterproof bottom?

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The wooden one you could get two of them to make the proper size and join them together.
Screenshot_20230917-141617.pngScreenshot_20230917-141323.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Alright. I’ll use the plastic you suggested earlier. Do you have any indoor enclosures I could use for reference? I already found a few but the more the better.
The ones I posted are all for indoors if you want. Just add a tarp or plastic for a floor if they don't have a floor or if made from wood.