Getting another rescue....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
So the rescue I foster for, (and my girl Bazinga is a foster failure from), has another Sulcata that I will be taking in (temporarily or permanently remains to be seen).
Any advice on getting them together- or should I not? I wasn't going to until the new one had her vet check up, and had both properly sexed- but after I didn't know if they preferred to be solitary or if they actually liked having pen mates. I would double the outdoor pen I have from 10x 22 to 10x40 and there is plenty of grazing for both, especially with all the weeds I throw in.
Any advice would be appreciated!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Any newcomer must be kept entirely separately in quarantine from yours for at least 6 months.

Sulcatas do not get along in pairs and you need to accept that living apart is best fir both of them. Do not forget these tortoises become enormous quite quickly and they do not hibernate. Do you have space for 2 large outdoor enclosures and the ability to provide the year round warmth they need?

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I live on an acre of land and have a 4 car garage that we don't use for our cars that can be heated in winter. So I have plenty of room to keep them separate. I can easily split the pen I have into 2 areas that are 10x20ish. And when they outgrow that size I am already building a retaining wall of sorts around the back half of my yard, so all I would have to do is split it down the middle, so they each would have roughly 1/4 of an acre to roam and graze (that wont be ready until next year though).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Aubs1220 said:
I live on an acre of land and have a 4 car garage that we don't use for our cars that can be heated in winter. So I have plenty of room to keep them separate. I can easily split the pen I have into 2 areas that are 10x20ish. And when they outgrow that size I am already building a retaining wall of sorts around the back half of my yard, so all I would have to do is split it down the middle, so they each would have roughly 1/4 of an acre to roam and graze (that wont be ready until next year though).
That sounds like it will suit them perfectly :)

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Are they two females or a male and a female? Two females may get along in one enclosure, but keep an eye out for bullying. Any other sex combination probably won't work out in one enclosure.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Not sure. I can't sex and they haven't been ” professionally” sexed yet.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using TortForum mobile app

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I think you will give them a wonderfull home. How big and old are they?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I have no clue on age since they are rescues. My first, Bazinga, was fed a terrible diet previously, so I think she is stunted. She has some moderate pyramiding and is around 15lbs, but is supposedly 10 to 15 yrs. The new one is 54lbs and looks well taken care of, but I don't know how to tell age. Lol.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
You got pics from them both, so u got a male amd a female?

I think what u are doing for them is great :)

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
I just randomly assigned a sex to them lol. I will take pics of tails tomorrow and post. :)

And thanks! I'm big into rescuing all species.I'm lucky to be able to do it

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Thats wonderfull, i love animals as well and try to help where i can. Since they need help, and as long as we can help, we should.

Aubs1220

5 Year Member
Amen! Lol

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
You are so lucky you hv the room to house more than one and help the rescues. I hv a rescue too. His pyramiding isn't very bad but i think his growth is a little under where the "average" is. i have noticed since i gAve him more area. He has exploded with his growth. I am only able to have one. I wouldn't trade Willie for the world though. Love him. Good luck to you and be proud of yourself for helping them out!

Status
Not open for further replies.