Yes, I have another Sullie now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
The herp society \ rescue I'm a member of needed a home for a young sullie (about 5yrs old, but not really sure).

It is about 11 inches and fairly mild pyramiding. The shell is kinda thin and brittle feeling and has signs that is may have or used to have MDB (kinda sunken and mishapen in one area, but not too bad). It did feel surprisingly heavy in the hand, so not dehydrated at least.

It is bright eyed and alert. I put it in it's own pen the first night with a big salad sprinkled with TNT, Calc+D3, and vits. When I came back a few mins later, it was all gone! It had been moved around from house to house since it was turned over to the rescue. So I figured it would be stressed. But it sure didn't show it.

Then I gave it its own full yard over by my rabbits and veggie garden area full of weeds, grass, and clover. As soon as it hit the ground, it was chomping down on mouthfuls of food like it was in heaven. I even had it take a bite of freshly picked squash from my hand.

This area of yard is setup in a way that helps keep the goats out of the garden (does not always work...). I have my raised beds in the center. These are surrounded by bark\mulch about 4feet all around, then a fence. Then there is a stronger fence around that where I keep my rabbit pens (spoiled rabbits) and my compost pile, and not much else but grass and weeds. Since I don't let my goats in there often (sometimes - when I'm there to supervise), the weeds are getting pretty bad. So I put the new tort to work in there to mow, and he likes his new job quite well.

Oh, the inner garden space has started sprouting weeds as well. So I have put my russians and smaller sullie in that area to focus on those weeds. THey also have access to the squash and pumpking vines, leaves, and flowers that hang over the raised bed walls (among many other over hanging plants they can nibble on as much as they like). They seem to like it too. This may be the russians new outdoor home. I'm thinking of building them a hybernation box or den out there.

Just another reason I love spending time in my garden. As I water and trim, and otherwise tend it, I pick stuff to feed the rabbits, goats, pigs, torts, and really love watching them chow it down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Congrats on the new addition. You had to know that everyone is going to ask for pics. Your garden sounds like herbivore heaven.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
Tom said:
Congrats on the new addition. You had to know that everyone is going to ask for pics. Your garden sounds like herbivore heaven.

How are there still no pics 5 posts later?

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yes, I figured there would be folks wanting pics :) It has been a super busy week. Hopefully this weekend I can snap some...

Status
Not open for further replies.